Is it worth rebedding a standard M1A?

vince weng

I plan to purchase a standard M1A from springfield armory. I like to increase its accuracy on do-it-yourself basis. Obviously, the rebedding is a good start. I am wondering if it is worth doing that and how accurate I can expect.

Also, I like to know the part interchangeability between M1A and M-14. In short, what is the similarity between them.

Hi Vince - Glass bedding an M1A should noticeably increase the accuracy of any rifle. This can be a tricky process for the inexperienced (like myself) so I recommend that you purchase a surplus M1A/M-14 stock (many sources out there) and practice on that one. Get a stock that you will be willing to use for a while, as once the rifle is bedded, you should really leave it assembled until rebedding is necessary. My last bedding job lasted 10,000 rounds and probably could have gone longer but I had the itch to do it again.

With the Springfield Armory M1A (and most other M-14 clones), G.I. parts from the origianl M-14s will fit and function perfectly if your rifle was made to military specifications. If G.I. parts won't fit and function, your rifle is out of spec. I would highly recommend that you at lease replace the bolt and operating rod of your new Springfield right away, as these are the most critical components and should not be entrusted to cast pieces. Don't worry though, the cast parts should hold up fine for a while and you are in no danger!!!

Good luck!

Vince, Scott Duff's M14 Owners Guide is a great book for history, care, feeding and match accurizing procedures(glassbedding included). www.scott-duff.com There may be others that cover history better but this one pretty much covers what an M14 owner needs to know. Jerry Kuhnhausen has a great shop manual for these as well, probably covers more than you want to know but "knowledge is power".

M14 and M1A parts are pretty much the same with the exception of no provision for auto firing. Some of SA parts may be cast and not forged like the receiver but SA is a proven rifle. I would look at the bolt and see if it's GI, marked with drawing # and manufacturer initials like TRW, this info will be stamped in the top, if GI. SA used to use cast bolts a while ago but I believe that pracice is history, all the new guns I've seen have GI TRW bolts. If you buy a used one then I would have headspace checked and replace bolt only if cast. As far as the op-rod goes I'm not sure what current production is but I've not heard of any failures of SA production op-rods(I don't speak for every one). You can find out if it's GI by looking under the oprod on the right side next to the hole for the recoil spring it will be stamped with a drawing # and manufactuers initials as well. You should be able to see with fashlight, looking inside the stock with op-rod to the rear. Scott Duff's book will square you away on the details. I agree with Hank I'd leave the bolt swaping and headspacing up to the pros when it comes to the M14/M1.Good Luck

Brian

[This message has been edited by Mouse Gun (edited March 15, 2000).]

Vince, You have to start somewhere don't you.
Glass bedding is a good first step and it should improve your accuracy some on an otherwise stock rifle. I am speaking only from my own humble experiance here.
You will need one of the available publications that explains the bedding proceedure so that you don't end up glueing your action and stock together. The U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit put out a publication titled "Accurized National Match M-14 Rifle
"M-14(MTU-NM)"". It is 52 pages of good information if you can find it.
As far as swapping bolts out goes, don't even think about doing this until you are very farmiliar with headspacing this rifle.
Have fun,
Hank Lampe

Back