is it safe to use indoor ranges during the pandemic? Covid 19

is it safe to use the indoor ranges now?

• yes as long as you keep distance and wear a mask

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • high risk of infection because it's an enclosed area

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • depends on your area

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • other

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mr bolo

my local indoor range says the indoor range is open again, but I dont know if it's worth the risk to use an indoor range right now with the possibility of Covid 19

is it risky being in a building / enclosed area for a couple hours with other shooters?

I chose other because there is no yes it is safe-as safe as anything else at a indoor range
Lead poisoning-slow speed
Lead poisoning-high speed
or plain old getting shot by a very unsafe customer.

If the indoor range has a proper air ventilation system (and filters) it would be perfectly safe to use.

The local indoor range here has a system that moves air from the shooter towards the targets so you are not exposed to contamination. The system utilizes 75 air filters to keep the air you breath clean.

Jim

yes, the range has good ventilation from the back wall towards the target area

at least I have access to free outdoor ranges , no range master

As the others have said, if the ranges ventilation system is working, you'll be fine. If you're worried about it, wear a mask while you're inside the range.

While there, don't touch your face with your hands. Bring some hand sanitizer and use it when you leave. That way you can take your mask off and don't have to worry about the things you touch, like your steering wheel, face...

I've been reading a lot that says what's really important is the length of exposure. If you just stand in there for an hour, that's risky. I've always gone in, done my business, and left. I don't dwaddle around.

The lead and poor air quality is probably more dangerous. This may be one place where wearing a mask really is a good idea.

The poll options provided indicate that you are afraid.
If that is the case, then just stay home.

If you want to approach the situation logically and reasonably, the answer is:
A properly equipped indoor range is safer than almost any other business, due to the ventilation systems in place, the lack of a thousand crotch goblins smearing boogers everywhere, and the reduced number of idiots sticking their fingers in their face.

I would think it depends more on the specific range than anything. My local indoor ranges are attached to gun shops and have remained open the whole time. I wouldn't be too afraid while on the firing line since any decent ventilation will be pulling air downrange.

However I called my one of the ranges over the weekend and they said it'd be at least a 30 minute wait to get on a lane. That means 30 minutes of waiting around in a busy gun shop that's been open for weeks and more likely than not had at least a few customers that have been exposed to the virus. If it hadn't been for that 30 minute wait I'd have made the trip.

It depends.

What protocols asre the range using?
Is everyone masked?
Is there proper distance between people?

Get those questions answered then make up your mind.

Depends on your age, current health, & whether you live in a high infection area. Personally, I would spend an hour in an indoor range with PPE, but I don't live in a hot-zone.

Exposure to lead risk is higher than the virus. Don't use hand sanitizer UNTIL you have washed your hands. Running water is needed to remove lead particulates off your hands; sanitizer just moves it around on your hands and dries in a new place

Here in Illinois . . .

For as crazy anti-gun as the state of Illinois is . . . our ranges have stayed open the whole time. Some wear a mask. Most don't. I use hand sanitizer before and after and always wash with de-lead when I get home.

DCD has said it's unlikely you'll catch the virus from a surface. it's possible, but very unlikely.

I've gone once or twice a week for the last six weeks and it's pretty much business as usual.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Ranges that are properly designed have ventilation that goes from the firing line towards the impact area, then evacuates to the exterior. IMO, if it's safe to go to WalMart and Safeway, it's safe to shoot at indoor ranges.

Shoot. Wash your hands. Go home.

If you are worried that isn't enough, stay home. I don't see the range as any more infectous than any other activity such grocery shopping and maybe even less so due to the range ventilation system.

Depends on your age, current health, & whether you live in a high infection area. Personally, I would spend an hour in an indoor range with PPE, but I don't live in a hot-zone.
The factors of age and health you list are relative to your chances for surviving the Covid-19, not risk factors of getting it.

I believe some indoor range owners...are stingy about frequently turning on the ventilation systems; so as in order for them to save money on there electric bill.

Back