Is it safe to leave it loaded for six months

Sure it is. That is as long as the hammer isn't resting on a cap.

Having moved far from a convenient outdoor range I have a NMA that's been loaded for 2.5 years now.

I've left a .36 Navy loaded with a lubed wad under the ball for going on four months before with no degradation of the charge. Granted, it was a dry hard lube on the wad, not one you could squeeze lube out of.

Ditto the no cap under the hammer. Otherwise it would be safe to leave it loaded for years. Whether it goes off or not is another matter. My experience with long loaded C&Bs has not been stellar when shot dry at the end of hunting season (no lube wad, dry chamber, flap holster).

I use grease over the balls (no wad or anything touching powder), and one empty cylinder under hammer, and have left it that way for well over 6 months before.

I didn't use the grease over ball to necessarily negate the effects of leaving it loaded, I use grease instead of wad all the time, even if I'm going to be shooting it every 4 minutes. :)

Now why on earth would it NOT be safe to leave loaded??? :confused:

I've left some loaded for years and they went bang just as if they'd been loaded 5 minutes ago.

I've done that using lubricated felt wads between the powder and ball, no primer.
There was a notable difference in the potency of the Pyrodex pellets that it had been loaded with but it did go *bang* well enough to empty the gun.

I would assume the op means, will the revolver go off after being loaded for 6 months. I left a 1858 cylinder loaded but not capped for a week and the powder wouldn't ignite the next week. It was loaded with pyrodex powder. If it was capped it probably would've went off with no problems. You can pick up some of those nipple cover things that fit over the nipples if you don't want to keep caps on the cylinder.

as above
Not with lubed wads on the powder, they tend to degrade the powder where
might not go off. So if you already have done this make absolutely sure where
that weapon is pointing when you try firing it.
and if you get hangfire etc, pour some water down on the nipples to get the powder wet, thus stopping ( hopefully) any delayed firing

I roll paper cartridges for my 1858 and I use a lubed conical where no lube is down around the powder.
As to a cap?
Loaded gun is worthless unless all components are there ready to be used.
and with no cap on the nipple you are inviting moisture to seep through the nipple to the powder.

I've left at least one of my multiple 1858's loaded well over a year and it still went bang every round.

There's high humidity in my area and while I don't normally keep mine loaded I was given a CVA Hawken that had been loaded with Pyrodex for about 12 years and stored in a closet next to a hot water heater uncapped. I capped it and it fired off first try with no apparent degradation of powder.

There are several things that have not been addressed . . .

When you say leave it loaded - are you talking about after you have already shot it? If so, then no . . . unless you waant a pile of rust the next time you go to use it.

If you are talking about leaving a "clean" revolver loaded - then yes. But I would also ask "why"? If you aren't going to use it for an extended time, empty it and clean it.

A C & B is no different than any other firearm. It is your responsibility to know where you weapon is at all times and just for safety issues, why leave a loaded one around? Are you going to lock it up so nobody has access toit? Are there kids around? And believe it or not, I can remember of at least two shooting deaths which involved a cap and ball revolver that was loaded and kids getting their hands on it. Just because it is uncapped doesn't mean that someone playing around with it (kids) won't try putting a paper cap on it and trying to snap it. Or . . . prevent them from finding percussion caps and playiing with it.

i.e. - it all depends on your circumstances. I carry CCW and yes, my carry weapon is loaded (cartridge but it still applies to C & B) and I know at all times where my weapon is and that it is under my control. However, if that weapon is going to be put in a drawer or a storage cabinet, it is unloaded and separate from the ammunition. It's just common sense. And in the last 60 + years that I have been shooting BP as well as cartridge, I have seen individuals who have put loaded ML away loaded, only to take them out months later and they forgot that they had put them away that way. Yea, you can see the loaded chambers on a C & B but why take a chance on a potential accident happening? A few minutes of time and you can be sure that the weapon is empty and secure - a few minutes of laziness in not securing it properly can result in something that can't be undone.

Call me an old fart and criticize me if you must . . . but I have seen the results of just what we are talking about here as far as safety goes when I worked Fire Rescue . . . . and what I have seen has caused many, many sleepless nights.

The real downside

Is it loaded? Only certain method is a ramrod down the barrel. Cap and ball revolver's we can see the end of the cylinder. Not so with other muzzleloaders.

Lots of stories (urban legends) about an old barrel being found, only to discover the darn thing is still loaded. A good smith will reach for the ramrod first when you hand over a muzzleloader.

Back