Is it possible?

riverratt

I believe I already know the answer and I'm just looking for reassurance. I've loaded everything from mouse loads to full tilt 310gr bullets at over 1300fps out of my 7.5" super Blackhawk over the years but the vast majority have been a 13gr of HS-6 under a 265gr cast bullet yielding a tad over 1300fps (max list is 14gr). I got an 8lb jug of powder just before the height of the shortage and since then I've run into a few hiccups like screws and pins backing out but attributed that to just an aging gun that has seen tens of thousands of rounds. One semi-major issue was where the cylinder locked up, and I think I've found the culprit of but haven't been able to verify that it was the issue. My cases are not sticky, primers are not flat (just a bit crisp on the edges) no flowing brass or primers. No real overpressure signs that I know of. My velocity is still the same when fired through my chrono as well. So that leads me to question if it is possible to have an overpressure situation without the traditional tell-tales? Hopefully, this is just a coincidence that all this happened with a new lot of powder but it has me second-guessing at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Primers often show no pressure signs in a revolver before extraction gets sticky. But if you have easy extraction and the same velocity, it is unlikely the pressure has changed significantly. Most likely it is, as you surmise, a coincidence and the gun is loosening with age. You could contact Ruger about sending it in for a once-over and the replacing of any loose or worn parts. Not a cheap option, but one that might put new life into the gun.

Guns vibrate when fired. When the stars line up, screws can get loose. New gun or old, it can happen. Revolvers seem particularly prone to that. No one seems to talk about it nowdays, but when I was a lad, it was SOP to check all the screws before a shooting session.

If the cylinder binds, for no apparent reason, first thing to check is the base pin. If it moves forward just a little, the gun can hang up. I had a Vaquero .44 that the spring loaded screw assy that locks the base pin in, came apart (failure to check on my part, most likely) while shooting, and of course parts got lost. Found out when the gun jammed due to the base pin moving out.

Before you send the gun off to Ruger, you might consider just using some threadlocker on problem screws. Just be sure to choose the right one, and use it correctly. I recommend "Guntite" but don't know if its still on the market.

I don't think you have a pressure problem, based on the information given. Though your use of very heavy slugs might be a contributing factor "loosening" the gun over time. Can't and wont say with any certainty, I don't use anything over 240/250gr in my .44s.

Tighten things back up go back to shooting, keep an eye on things to see IF or when (rnd count) the problem reoccurs. If you use a threadlocker, my bet is it won't happen again.

Is your Ruger a New Model or Old?

Ruger used to use Nylock screws to prevent backing out as is so common in Colt. I don't know if they still do or if they will sell replacements.

If your base pin is jumping out, Belt Mountain sells base pins with set screws and latches to match.

My SBH would loosen the frame screws regularly.I fixed it with a little bit of blue Loctite.

A "Dang it!,Wish I had not done that" tip is do not apply the Loctite from the tube to the hole. If I did that I'd get a "ga-bloop" and about 1/2 teaspoon of Loctite would burp out and run into the lockworks.There is a Loctite gel stick that IMO is a good thing.

I assume you would notice if recoil was pulling your bullets.

I've never had the cylinder lock up on mine with the base pin fully in place.

Next time it happens (muzzle safe) try wiggling the cylinder to see if its truly locked up.If you feel any movement, your tie-up may be elswhere.

I can't think of what would go wrong,but,for example,if something was binding up at the mainspring strut under the grips,it might seem like a tied up cylinder.

I've seen the ejector rod housing screws loosen. That can be a problem. Generally inspect the ejector system

Good luck!

I have a post in the gun smithing section about the lockup situation. Short story is I think the beeswax from my lube had worked it's way into places it wasn't supposed to be, with it being 25 out the other day it "froze" a spring. At least I hope that's what it was, didn't see anything broken or out of place apon inspection

Back