Is it possible to turn an 870 into a trench gun?

Adam

Lately I have really wanted a Winchester 1200 trench gun, but the cost is just too much. I really like the configuration with the bayonet lug and was wondering if I could do this with my 870? Does anyone offer bayonet lugs for the 870? If not, would the Winchester lug fit? It seems to be a far cheaper option that shelling out the $1500 or so for an old Winchester. Thanks for any input.

It's my neophyte understanding that to turn an 870 into a real trench gun you'd first have to eliminate the trigger disconnector...I don't know if that can be accomplished by simple gunsmithing or whether you'd have to buy the Timney trigger group, lovely steel sans disconnect...

I don't really know about the bayonnet...

I think ATF would have a fit about the bayonet lug.

A bayonet lug is one of the warning signs of an Assault Weapon.

Doc

Not on a pump gun. There's no such thing as a "pump-action assault weapon," only a "semi-automatic assault weapon." You can hang as many flash hiders, folding stocks, and bayonet lugs as you can afford on your 870.

Note - the same is not true with semi-auto shotguns. Semi-auto shotguns can only have one evil feature (pistol grip, folding stock, magazine over 5 rounds, bayonet lug.)

Disclaimer - this ain't legal advice. Check your regs before you do something that could land you in prison.

Later,
Chris

Adam, whether this can be done is basically a matter of just how much money you're willing to dump into this.

IMO,unless you've just got a crave for a military lookalike, you'd be better off taking a standard 870 and REALLY, REALLY learning to shoot it.

The Mossberg 590 has a bayonet lug (which fits the current M16 bayonet, I'm told). If all you really want is to stick a knife on the end of your shotgun, that would be the easiest way.

I, too, drool over a "Wild Bunch" - style Model '97.

It think you mean a modle 12 (not 1200) Trench gun? Winchester produced trench guns on the mod 97 (exposed hammer) and mod 12 (same gun but with an enclosed hammer).

The ability of the models 97 & 12 to fire when pumped and the trigger held back is not a feature of a "trench gun" it just happen to be that way (no disconnector) on the first types made. All civilian modle 97's and 12's had this feature. Even my Mod 42 (a downsized .410 mod 12) will fire this way.

As far I as I know, there has never been any common conversion to turn an 870 into a trench gun. I would know because I would have one if there was :D

Other than being extrememly cool, and having a bayonet, a good 870 will do just as good of a job.

If you want the classic look and feel of the old ones, just try and get an old 97/12 and turn it into a riot gun. I found and old 97 bird gun and chopped off the barrel. Now it is a classic riot gun. Not a cool as a trench but not as expensive either.

Back