Is it possible that copper bore solvents will dissolve the steel?

paxamericana

I have heard it suggested by some reputable rifle shooters that the copper-dissolving solvents that we use to remove copper from the bore are capable of dissolving or corroding the barrel steel, over time, and that these strong solvents contribute to barrel wear. Could this possibly be correct?

Look what water did to the Grand Canyon. I suppose it's possible, but I'd think it would take a long time. It's not something that I worry about.

take some chemistry. Some "solvents" will dissolve many things but not everything.

Every solvent is going to be either an acid, or a base, or "neutral" (which is water)

bases dissolve certain metals and don't touch others. Acids dissolve certain metals and don't touch others. It is entirely dependent on what the chemical is (its concentration) and what the metal is.

There are things that will eat copper and not steel. There are things that will eat both of them. For one example, strong enough nitric acid will eat brass in seconds, and eat carbon steel in minutes or hours but won't even etch stainless steel.

Caustic (bases) like Sodium hydroxide eat aluminum like candy. H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) in industrial strength level will cause organics to burst into flame.

Just saying that your copper fouling remover will eat your barrel steel as a blanket statement is false. IT MIGHT, but that depends on exactly WHAT you are using and what your barrel steel is.

Well, Wipe-Out is what I have been using. It dissolves the copper easily. But what have I been doing to my bore? And would it have been any better if I had used other popular solvents designed to remove copper fouling?

Wipe out is one of the few copper cleaners that tell you that you can leave it in over night.

I have been using Wipe out for 10 years in multiple rifles.
My .223 Savage 12 has over 6,000 rounds down the barrel.
Last session it averaged 0.264 for 8 5-round groups at 100 yards.

I don't think you have any concerns with Wipe Out.

One of the really powerful cleaners I bought years ago warned that you shouldn't leave it in the barrel for more than 15 minutes. I only used it once.

Bore tech has a bore cleaner "eliminator" and a dedicated copper remover "cu+2". Both remove copper, both work well, both have minimal odor, both are non-toxic, and both are barel safe. I have left them in for hours before with no issues.

I know some copper removers are definitely not barrel safe and can damage the barrel if left in longer that the time listed on the barrel. I use bore tech's products for a reason.

Aren't most copper removing solvents base on ammonia? I have two types, Sweet's 7.62 and off hand don't remember the name of the other one. Both said to remove within a specified time frame. One was real stinky with the ammonia smell and wasn't fun to work with. The other still had the odor but wasn't as strong. I know ammonia or ammonia based cleaners may/can etch a barrel if left too long. At least that goes for the ones I have on hand.

When I did a thorough cleaning it would first be with conventional solvent, then one of the copper removals until no blue on the patch. Stubborn copper foulings got the JB Bore Paste. Naturally, YMMV.
Paul B.

When used as directed. No.

Are there ways you might be able to damage a bore with a copper solvent? Yes. Don't do those things--follow the directions.

Some cleaners like Sweet's 7.62 will damage a bore if left in too long.
The key is READ THE LABEL.

If the label says to leave it in for only a specific time, do what they say, they know more about their product then anyone else.

Some more modern copper cleaners like Bore Tech CU+2 do a very good job of copper removal and are bore-safe.

(Look what water did to the Grand Canyon. I suppose it's possible, but I'd think it would take a long time. It's not something that I worry about. )

yeah the canyon must have taken at least a day. maybe even two. and some copper removers might do it in the same time frame.

Back