Is it okay to only practice with target loads?

Pops1085

I'm talking about home defense and if I already have tested the pattern on buckshot and slugs is it okay to just blast away with the cheap target loads to build up some muscle memory or is it super imperative that I keep shooting buck?

I don't see a problem with using target loads just to do a little practice. Just remember with the real loads, expect more recoil

I like to shoot target loads for about 75% of a shooting session. Usually I'll start off with a bit of buck shot or slugs to remember "this is what it feels like". Then I'll step down to target loads for a while... then finish up with buck/slugs again.

Also, I recommend playing around with making your own wax slugs. You can make some utterly devastating rounds out of some cheap 7 shot target loads with a little parafin wax. They're very easy to make, too. Check around on YouTube. These are one of my favorite loads to shoot when I'm just dinking around in the desert shooting milk jugs and bottles full of water.

Get to know your firearm, therefore use ...

target loads, either trap / skeet and some "practical" shotgun exercises.

BUT do use the HD ammo so you are familiar with the recoil and recovery that those loads entail.

Yes if you can use target loads but as others have said, you still need to practice with HD loads. The indoor gun range I go to I can only fire buckshot or rifled slugs and no steel shot or birdshot is allowed to fired. I usually fire full power #4 buckshot rounds when I go to the range.

Last edited:
Back