Is it okay to dry-fire a S&W 625-3?

Sambonator

Is it okay to dry-fire a S&W Model 625-3? Will I be wearing anything down prematurely or putting undue stress on some parts by doing this?

Thank you! :)
Sam

I'm SURE I'll get some disagreement here, but YES, it's perfectly OK to "dryfire" your 625...shouldn't hurt anything...I've shot a literal truckload of ammo thru S&W revo's over the last 27 years--and dryfired a whole bunch MORE--and I've broken exactly ONE "hammer nose"--S&W's term for the firing pin. Dryfire away!!!....mikey357

It is OK to dry fire. But, it does have a hammer mounted firing pin and it can break with excessive dry firing. So if your dry firing the gun for defensive drills or just practicing trigger pull, it OK to do. If you are going to sit in front of the set and masturbate the thing for an hour, suggest getting snap cap. Makes it a lot easier on the gun.

Robert

Snap-caps are too cheap to make(and not that bad to purchase) to not use them for anything other than the occasional trigger pull. IOW, cheap insurance. I also bent a hammer-nose years ago. While it was an easy fix, that gun was down until the parts arrived.

Thank you all for your responses! :)

Now if I were to use snap caps, do I need to load the snapcaps in a moon clip and use it?

By the way, maybe this should be in another thread...but do I need to use moon clips to shoot 45ACP out of my 625?

Thank y'all :)
Sam

By the way, maybe this should be in another thread...but do I need to use moon clips to shoot 45ACP out of my 625?

Some guns will shoot without moonclips and some won't. I have a 25 that shoots singles ok but my 625 generally won't. Extraction of a non-moonclipped round is a little awkward.

Try autorim brass for going clipless.

-Dennis

Full moons

IMFO are THE way to go. Today I was shooting some test loads and had to pick those buggers out as I didn't moon-em-up....bummer.My 625PC shoots about 1/3 tighter groups with the full clips. Don't waste your time with the 1/2 moons as all the ones I've tried have gotten out of shape guickly. Dillion has a DE-mooner tool for around $18 which is money well spent.

I usually load up 50 or so clips at home, toss 'em in a pouch and everything stays tidy. Enjoy ! BTW, 200gr. SWCs over 5 grains of 231 or Universal does
1 1/2 inch at 25 yards off a bag.( With a DOT of course)..best...dewey

Dewey:

I just got done loading about 600 rounds.

About 600 rounds of some 230 grain JHPs with 4.5 grains of TiteGroup yields me some 2 inch groups at 25 yards offhand with my SW 625 with a 5 inch barrel.

I also am searching for a nice soft recoiling 25 to 50 yard load for some 200 grain hard cast LSWCs - Aardvarck brand from Poulsbo, WA.

Loaded some with 4.8 and 5.2 grains of TiteGroup at 1.23 OAL and used a light to moderate taper crimp with my Lee FCD - three quarters turn. We'll see how they shoot next week!

But let me confirm Dewey. You got good results with Universal and W231 both 5.0 grains with a 200 grain LSWC?

With W231, they should be doing about 830 fps not factoring in the velocity loss for the cylinder gap.

Let me know folks. Only reloaded 44 mag SWCs before these.

I've used the California Comp Works pliers type and the screwdriver type.

For difficult to eject cases, use the screwdriver.

Once the moon clips are broken in, the pliers are faster.

Yes. Fine for the 625-6. Asked SW tech and my local gunsmith. Fine if the firing pin is frame mounted.

Snap caps caused problems for me because the brass shavings from the firing pin hitting the spring loaded primer get into the frame and cylinder assembly jamming things up.

Back