Is it made in Japan or Belgium?

tdl1953

Inactive
I just recently acquired a Browning SA-22 and I tired to figure out the year it was manufactured. On the barrel it says made in Belgium however the serial number seems to be from Japan. The serial number ends with T37 which tells me it was made in 1973 in Japan. Im wondering if this gun is really made from parts made in Belgium but assembled in Japan?

I think you are probably right. Most parts were made in Belgium and then shipped to japan for full assembly. Mine was made in '72 that was the last year of full belgium production, i think. "73 started the change over. Regardless where it was made they are great little .22s

Yes they are great 22s. I got my first one in the 80s for about $345. I was sorry to sell it. Then I bought the Norinco at Walmart for $90. I still have it and I modified it to shoot the CCI- quiet rds by cutting an inch off the recoil spring..

Now I own 2 Norincos and 3 Brownings. 62, 73 and a 18 with the maple stock still in the box and never fired.

All of them handle the quiet rounds without much problems.

hen I bought the Norinco at Walmart for $90. I still have it and I modified it to shoot the CCI- quiet rds by cutting an inch off the recoil spring..

Now I own 2 Norincos and 3 Brownings. 62, 73 and a 18 with the maple stock still in the box and never fired.

All of them handle the quiet rounds without much problems.

The Topic was the SA-22 and where built

The response did not address that and then wandered off into never never land.

According to the Browning website, the 22 semi-auto rifle was made in Belgium though 1973. Production in Japan started in 1974. So I would say that since it says "Made in Belgium", it was made in Belgium. Most large companies don't want to get into false declarations of country of origin anyway.

According to the Browning website, the 22 semi-auto rifle was made in Belgium though 1973. Production in Japan started in 1974. So I would say that since it says "Made in Belgium", it was made in Belgium. Most large companies don't want to get into false declarations of country of origin anyway

I would think so as well but this is what is a little confusing...from Browning.com:

In 1974, production of the 22 Semi-Auto was moved to Miroku, Japan. The order of the serial number code was changed to:
1.Serial Number which started at 1000 for each year.
2. Two digit year code
3. Rifle type code:
T=Long Rifle Caliber
E=Short Rifle Caliber

NOTE: FOR MANY MIROKU GUNS FROM 1973 - 75 AND PART OF 76, THE YEAR WAS REVERSED IN THE SERIAL NUMBER. 47 WOULD MEAN 1974.
Example: 1000T47 = A 1974 22 Semi-Auto rifle in 22 Long Rifle Caliber with a serial number of 1000.

My SA-22 serial number ends in T37 which seems to be a Japanese number.

I have a Browning A5 12 ga magnum shotgun that was made in Belgium after production had been shifted to Japan.. I spoke to the factory about the shotgun, and was told that back years ago, FN computerized their parts inventory. They found enough parts to make a number of complete shotguns.
Due to arrangements with Browning, they could not sell them in America. Most went to Canada, where mine was purchased by a brother in law.

Along with a host of other things, the Gun Control Act of 1968 requires the country of origin be marked on all firearms imported into the US after the effective date of the law.

SO, a 1973 gun that says "made in Belgium", as far as US law is concerned, was made in Belgium.

Back