Is it legal to transport from NY to PA ?

ShootemDown

I am a licensed handgun and longun owner:

I want to take my guns and ammo to a range in philadelphia.

This would involve transporting the weapons in locked container and ammo seperately via

NYC Subway and buses

Private Bus line from NY to PA

the SEPTA (local subway and buses) of Philly

I think this is perfectly legal, buy my friend who was going to go with me backed out saying it isnt legal to take guns into public transport...

thank you

Unless you have a NY carry permit I would not advise you to try to transport any weapon on the subways.
Right to own does not constitute right to transport across state lines.
If you have a carry permit from NY, you can probably CARRY to PA. but if you want to ship guns, better do so thru a dealler/ffl
JMHO

^^

He's asking about taking his licensed guns to the range in PA for a weekend trip or something...I dont think he needs to go thru all the necessary hassle of going thru an FFL..

I feel as long as he is transporting the weapons in a locked box, ammo separate, and with the box stuffed in a backpack or suitcase he should be fine.

just make sure you have your permits and registrations with you....

BTW why would you want to take public transportation anyway? Just drive to the range in PA....unless you dont own a car then thats a different story...;)

I can't say about NY or what ever other state your going to hit but once in PA as long as their unloaded and cased the ammo stored separate your good to go. Private transport you need to follow their rules. you can't pack a loaded pistol in philly your NY permits ain't good in PA. however once out of philly you can open carry a loaded pistol no laws on open carry in PA except philly. No permits needed to own a long gun or pistol in PA but you must have a permit to carry a loaded pistol concealed or in a car. Unloaded and cased as above on SEPA is OK.

^^

BTW I was wondering, once my FLA CCW permit comes in, I'll be able to carry concealed anywhere in PA right??? which means Philly also, right??

I do got a PA carry permit.

good to hear septa is ok with locked containers.

The NYC subway is good too isnt it ?

as for the bus, there is a privately done bus that goes from NYC to Philly, independent company,

I understand in interstate travel, guns locked in trunk and guns being legal ar origin, and the destination thats fine eh ? the luggage compartment on the bottom of the bus should suffice as a trunk is it not ?

If you have a carry permit from NY, you can probably CARRY to PA.

Listen to that and go to jail. PA does not honor NY permits because NY does not honor PA. For only $20 you can get a NH permit using your NY one and it is good in PA.

some of the places you can't carry in PA. courthouse, capital buildings, jails, state parks, gambling establishments. The law on schools is a bit fuzzy and there is no case law. without a valid PA permit it's not allowed. Bars are OK, not smart but legal.

Listen to that and go to jail. PA does not honor NY permits because NY does not honor PA.

Simply not true, I use to quad ride quite often in Pa. and would carry with a N.Y. permit a few years back. Call the Pa. State Police and ask them, thats what I did and was informed they would honor N.Y's permit.

Simply call and find out the facts.

kenny b

It sounds like the Big question is the NYC subway.... it would

bet just about any amount of money if you call anyone up the line of 'comand' they will say absolutely not.... now as for in the end .... not sure... it would seem the federal interstate transport laws intent would allow you to transport unloaded and locked anywhere.... but we all know that NYC does not recognize federal law. I suspect if you get caught...you will not be making the weekend shoot in PA.

step out and your toast.
in Philly only. Open carry is allowed by anyone in the rest of the State without a permit. Just don't conceal it with only a NY permit outside of the car.

I guess since you said you are going to Philly this point is moot though.

CAUTION: Re PA and FLA reciprocity

Be absolutely certain on the very day that you intend to transport the firearm that your FLA permit is recognized by PA. The Attorney General has issued a letter in PA stating that he recognizes ALL permits issued by other states. FLA only recognized (a) their own issued permits; and (b) permits issued by other states with whom the have a reciprocal agreement and where the permit holder IS A RESIDENT OF THAT STATE. In other words, your FLA permit may or may not be honoured in PA... there are reports of the State Police NOT recognizing non resident permits even though the attorney general recognizes them. This is totally bizarre, but you really need to make sure of what you are doing before running ahead and doing it. New York as a nasty state to transport through I hear. I have not personally had any trouble but I drive through New York State and I did several DRY RUNS before actually transporting. I have a SAFE in the back of my van (actually TWO safes); one for the gun(s) and one for the ammo. They are locked up tight witha trigger lock on as well when travelling through NY State, in case of a stop and search. I am entitled to peacable journey by Federal statute, but don't want to spend a night in the can as well as $25K on legal fees to have the case thrown out of court. Be sure... I don't even know where to tell you to begin looking but be very wary of hearsay (even MY hearsay). A PA CCW is only a few bucks by the way and is a good investment. If you are a NY resident I would begin the process of getting a NY permit (NYC excepted more than likely). Might not help but it sure wouldn't hurt. I am double trouble. An American working in Canada. Non resident but US Citizen. I have no second amendment rights in many states, such as CT and FLA who will not issue a CCW to me as I have no US residence. I intend to change that shortly by buying a place in the US... but in the meantime you can be a US citizen and a non resident and have no constitutional rights in several states. You can figure out the rest.... the key work here is CAUTION. Know what you are doing before doing it and know what you are doing by personal research and NOT by hearsay, although the hearsay is a big BIG help in setting you in the right direction. It has been invaluable to me but I will not transport through, for example, NJ, where the simple act of being in possession of ANY hollow point ammo is a felony. Go directly to jail and do not pass go. See what I mean? By the way... that came to me via hearsay and I took the time to investigate myself. There is talk that even the mere act of using a lead round with an X cut in the lead bullet portion constitutes carrying a "dum dum" bullet and is a felony.

TO be honest I have no idea about carrying a cased pistol through NY state, let alone NYC where the laws are insane, but IMHO, I simply would not do it and would choose instead to ship it out of state or at least to an FFL in PA, where I would pick it up. And I would drop $20 and get a PA non resident carry permit and forget about arguing the validity of your FLA carry permit.

Oh and one last thing... the whole FLA debacle with regards to not being able to get a permit (myself) is a result of their legislation simply changing one single word in the preamble from "a CITIZEN of the USA" to "a RESIDENT of the USA". Seems the legislators assumed that all people would be residents...and did not give consideration to other citizens.

Watch yourself.

He's ALREADY SAID that he has a PA license, OK? Your interstate transport in a common carrier is the biggest question mark. I looked at the In(S)epta site and information on their rules is sparse, nothing about it. The New York subway may have laws or regulations on transporting firearms. Federal regulations require any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce must deliver the unloaded firearm into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor, or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip. Check with each carrier before your trip. Bus companies usually refuse to transport firearms. Trains usually allow the transportation of encased long guns, if they are disassembled or the bolt is removed.

If he's hitting Jersey, all bets are off. If you don't have a NJ FOID or travelling through in a private vehicle without stopping you're in jeopardy.

Back