Is it legal for Census workers to carry a concealed weapon?

Trooper Tyree

I was thinking about applying for a temporary census position to pick up a bit of extra cash, but then someone said census workers could not CC. :eek:

Now I was curious about the legalities of CCW on peoples private property, but it never occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to CC as a census worker. If you can't CC as a census worker then I'm not sure the extra cash would be worth my life. :rolleyes:

Are census workers really not allowed to CC?

Does anyone know the legalities of this or where I could find them out?

Thanks,

Generally, the feds insist that their employees not be armed while on the payroll. CCW on private property is left up to the individual state/county/municipality, not the fed government.

I was thinking more of the door to door job, not a desk job, so carrying into a federal building shouldn't be an issue.

So, if it's a "policy" basically what that means is I just need to make sure I stay within local city/country/state laws?

What if during the training they specifically state employees are NOT to carry concealed weapons?

I assume all they can do is fire you if they find out. Correcto?

I also assume I'd never need to use it, that if anyone finds out about it it's not a "concealed weapon" and that if I ever needed it I wouldn't give a crap about any of this? :rolleyes::)

After the killing in Ky I would certainly be packing.
Your own safety is your responsibility, the feds won't be there when things go bad will they?

Your job isn't worth your life. $12 an hour (for a temp job!) isn't enough to die for.

The Federal Government insists that everybody (becides themselves) be unarmed.

"The Federal Government insists that everybody (becides themselves) be unarmed."

That is demonstrably untrue. And arguably irrelevant, in that the topic is can certain federal employees be armed as opposed to non-federal employees.

Just what we need. People who work for Acorn carring guns doing census work.

:rolleyes:

Anyway, as long as you're not found to be carrying in a federal building, or you violate some other carry rule, then yes, the most they should be able to do is can you. They might not even do that unless there was a reason. You might want to consider talking to the next person up the chain of command, and discreetly inquiring about personal protection while working. Though some supervisors may have a stick up their ass, many would probably understand your concerns perfectly after the murder in Kentucky.

I have yet to figure it out...

I just started my census enumerator training. I have browsed through all the manuals, handbooks, even the "ethics" guide and the only mention I can find anywhere about handguns, or any weapons, is a reminder that weapons are not allowed on federal property. If they aren't outright going to tell me I can't, then I don't see a problem with it.

At the time of the posting it was a "killing" per the Ky state police.
Check your dates Jim.

CycleSLC said:
I just started my census enumerator training. I have browsed through all the manuals, handbooks, even the "ethics" guide and the only mention I can find anywhere about handguns, or any weapons, is a reminder that weapons are not allowed on federal property. If they aren't outright going to tell me I can't, then I don't see a problem with it.

I, also, started my census training in February. Nothing was said during training nor did I see any mention of personal weapons in the handbooks, manuals, etc. beyond what you cited. A couple of weeks ago I had my crew leader with me and we had to enter a federal post office. He saw me slip my handgun out of its holster and secure it in my car before going inside. Afterwards, he told me just as an FYI that the people in the regional headquarters were very adamant about census workers not being allowed to carry whether they had a CCW endorsement or not. He didn't care, personally, as he has a CCW endorsement himself. But he did want me to know that it was against policy as expressed by the regional office.

I asked where that policy originated. Is it in federal law? Census regulations? Or is it just something that regional decided to quietly implement without any publicity? He couldn't tell me, only that he'd been told CCW was not allowed.

They had census workers last phase going into campgrounds at night, hobo jungles, "empty" buildings, etc. looking for transients. I told him that if he thought I was going to do that job unarmed, well, a part time job ain't worth my life. He said he understood but just wanted me to know. I've still not seen anything in writing one way or another regarding such a ban.

As Brolin said, they tell census workers not to carry. They do not outright tell them they are prohibited from carrying.
I was a CB team leader and trainer in 1990, that was the policy then. I carried pepper spray and used it once on a dog.
I have a friend who is strong 2ndA and a licensed CCW carrier. He is currently working for CB and has been 'advised' not to carry. He does.
IMHO, it is unlikely charges would be brought if a weapon was used in accordance with the law for self-protection. The public outrage would be incredible.

Unless there is a prohibition in the Code of Federal Regulations, CCW would only be regulated by the state(s) in which you would be carrying. You would not have any federal protections, including if you had to defend yourself. Bottom line, you do so at your own peril.

I was working for the censes dept. I also have a Concealed Handgun License (CHL) in Texas. I was called to a meeting with my CL. I was told that someone told her that I had a XHL. I asked who told her that and she told me that she would not tell me. I had a feeling that I was going to be fired so I got all the names and telephone no's of people in her chain of command. I then asked her if she didn't believe in the second amendment. She jumped up and went out side and called someone, and then she came back and asked if I had all my equipment. I said, "Am I being fired"? She grabbed my bag Jumped up and left. She was gone before I could get outside. I went home and filed a complaint with the EEOC. We will see what happens.

Back