Is it just me or...

mravery

Is it just me when I have the best intentions to kick butt at the range, only to find out that I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn....

Ugh... What a day....

I was definitely off my Zen today....

It happens to all of us. Usually when I start thinking I may be getting pretty good, I have a day like yours to remind me not so much! Over time, with good technique, you will get better...to a point. I am probably as good as as I'm going to get. I brag and rejoice on the good days and don't pay too much attention to the bad. On those days when it ain't meant to be just relax and enjoy the shooting.

Certainly not just you. I have had more off days than I care to post about. Much like a golf swing, if your off a bit with the fundamentals your going to have a rough day.

Ha, I love the golf analogy.. fits perfect!

This was just a 'vent' post... sometimes I like to think that I'm better than I am... LOL!!

It's all good..... :D

On days like that I will do some one handed and lefty shooting and practice my self defense skills. Even on a bad day at the range can have some good experience if you look for it. If i am heaving a bad day with my rifle I will just pack it up and save the ammo for a better day lol.

Excrement occurs. My very best IDPA match was followed by one of my worst IDPA matches. Shooting is like golf, the most important six inches is between your ears.

only to find out that I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn....
I have found that on these days I managed to bring my inaccurate ammo instead of the good accurate ammo. Gets me every time;)

Just to show the universe has a well-balanced sense of humor: I took off a month from the range and shot better than expected when I went back last weekend.
My new key to range happiness: lower my expectations.

Long ago, I learned when racing motorcycles at the track (road racing, paved): "learn the fundamentals, make them second nature. Speed will come. Trying the latter before the former will lead to woe."

Bikes are like firearms in a few ways, one being that clowning around can cause injury, property damage, and death. Draw what you will from the analogy, those who ride and shoot might agree with me....though hopefully you don't ride and shoot at the same time!

So, I've taken various combatant courses from people who are *not* clowns, mostly run by Operators, current or ex LEO, and ex military and/or reserves. I figured, correctly, on Day 1 to open ears and shut mouth. Thus, I've learned reasonably clever technique over the years, practised enough to become second nature. And, speed and accuracy have improved, though that was pointed out to me by others. I'm no Rob Leatham, to be clear, but put lead down range and hit the mark often enough. Confidence and not being rattled...zen calm under stress... are 90% of the battle.

And yes, some days I'm not in the zone. I don't shoot very often, maybe quarterly to keep the skills from getting rusty. When I go with friends who shoot even less, I sometimes stop (both, all) of us/them when I sense fatigue setting in. It's a bit stressful to shoot 45acp, 9mm, and similar box after box. One might surmise there is a point of diminishing return, but I'll leave that to the professional instructors who see many students per year.

For me, the groups open and I start to slightly flinch if I'm tiring, that's my first and last clue. So, I pack up and go home: the range will still be there tomorrow. For me, 2-3 boxes of 45ACP are sufficient for most sessions, unless I'm ad hoc teaching new or less-experienced shooters (girlfriends, buddies, etc.)

On days like that I will do some one handed and lefty shooting and practice my self defense skills. Even on a bad day at the range can have some good experience if you look for it. If i am heaving a bad day with my rifle I will just pack it up and save the ammo for a better day lol.

I really like this angle. For my buck I wanted to add that I own a couple of "RESET" guns... handguns that I always shoot well. They always run and I always shoot well with them. So when the session is lousy, I can shorten the distance to target, grab a pistol such as my Ruger Mark II 5.5 bull barrel, and it almost does the work for me, so I can regain some confidence and try again.

Still not doing well? No harm, no foul in calling it a day and come back better the next time.

I have more OK days than good days. Most of my range time is spent with my carry guns. A j frame snub .38 and a M&P .45c.
I have a 3 screw .357 that I know I can shoot. I often bring it along even if I have no intention of shooting it. When I can't get in the groove shooting my carry guns, I put them down and shoot the single action. It slows me down and makes/allows me to concentrate on each shot.
A few cylinders later, I can shoot the carry guns better.
With either carry gun my first few shots are decent, I think that I tend to sometimes lose concentration with them. The single action slows me down and makes my mind shoot instead of me concentrating on the physical aspects of squeezing the trigger and recoil.

Back