is it just me or do exit wounds bleed more?

Deja vu

I have been shooting deer for many years mostly with my 357 magnum and occasionally with my 45-70 or my brothers 30-06.

Any way this last season I shot a deer with a big slow heavy 45-70 that left an exit wound on the right side that seemed to bleed really heavily. I seem to recall the same with other kills with my 45-70. I have seen entrance wounds that bleed very little but never seen an exit that did not bleed like crazy.

So is it just my experience or do exit wounds bleed more?

The entry hole of a bullet will be the diameter of the bullet. A typical hunting bullet will expand upon impact. The exit wound will be the diameter of the expanded bullet plus the effect of any bone (or perhaps cartilage) fragments that are driven through the area of the exit wound. I have not measured entry and exit holes but this is my opinion based on hunting deer for about 40 years.

the entry hole is only for things entering, the exit hole is for things exiting and that means blood too.

Pretty much normal for any chambering. Even more dramatic with more modern chamberings with fast moving expanding bullets. 2-3" diameter exit holes are common vs .24 to .30 entrance holes.

Well yeah it's pretty much a given that an exit hole will bleed more. Not only will it typically be bigger than the entrance hole but if you are hunting from a tree stand or elevated shooting house it will also be the lowest hole. If the chest cavity of the animal is filling up with blood then the lower hole will be the first one that starts to bleed profusely.

entrance wounds are uniform and the diameter of the bullet. as the bullet passes through the animal it becomes ragged and deforms outward. this makes the exit wound ragged and larger than the original diameter.
hope this helps.

Remember that skin is flexible. An entry hole will partially close. The exit hole is larger due to bullet expansion and/or "shrapnel". The skin around an exit wound is torn, rather than merely punctured.

If hunting anything that may need to be tracked after being shot, I always keep the exit wound idea in mind when selecting the proper bullet and ammo.

I have to agree Deja vu. I've noticed the same results many times too. I know most bullets are purposely made to expand some in big game by the time they get to the opposite side. But I kind of think it has more to due with the wound channel itself. My theroy: couldn't it be as the bullets passing thru the cavity it acts like a vacuum pump of sorts on its way too that other side. So as the animals blood rush's in to fill that wound channels void it follows not only the pull of vacuum but also follows the easiest path way with least resistance. As previously commented. The entrance hole is closing. And knowing the bullets exiting is enlarging the wound channel and increasing its vacuum pull? Just my speculation is all Sir.
I suppose my theroy is only minute part of what really goes on with a bullets behavior. But maybe some other member has a better theroy? Good question / topic posed Deja vu.

Art Eatman Remember that skin is flexible. An entry hole will partially close. The exit hole is larger due to bullet expansion and/or "shrapnel". The skin around an exit wound is torn, rather than merely punctured.

A big plus for semi wad-cutter bullets in the slow-heavy catagory is that they punch a full caliber hole upon entry. An example is when a paper target is placed against cardboard or other flexible backing. A bullet without the sharp corners will leave a less than caliber hole with the paper torn inward, while a SWC bullet will cut a full caliber hole. The same effect is evident on game. The amount of blood that pours from the entry wound of a SWC is significant higher, while the "flaps" from a rounded profile bullet tend to close / plug the wound, AOTBE.

Interesting question, something I've never really gave much thought to until now. Searching my memory tells me you're right though, exit wounds do bleed more than entrance wounds. Youtube has some good videos of what bullets do in ballistic gel giving some indication as to what is happening and why. The most impressive to me was 7mm Rem Mag using a 140 grain Barnes bullet.

Never forget the shrapnel effect of some hits, regardless of bullet style or even velocity. I've seen exit wounds where a bone was hit on the off-side of a deer. Suffice, "Large." Beaucoup blood.

That can be a big factor, for sure. I saw a small-ish button buck hit with a .45cal bullet from a smokeless muzzle loader. The entrance wound was entirely unremarkable but the exit, which hit near dead center on the opposite shoulder, was literally softball sized. The leg was held on by thin pieces of skin on each side.

Originally posted by Brian Pfleuger: I never knew this was a question. Seems intuitive to the point of being unspoken, common sense fact.

True dat........

Shoot an empty pop can with a BB gun and then fill it up with water. The exit hole will drain more water, even tho the holes are the same size.

....Just sayin'.

The last ten years or so. I've shot alot of deer in the head with a 223 or a 22-250. Small hole when it made an entry and most of the time there's no side of the head where the bullet exits.

Usually the exit wound is larger than the entrance wound. Its large, nasty, and has bone etc. pushed through it. Many times, the hide actually closes up the entrance wound. To me, what bleeds the most is the entrance wound of something like the .257 WBY shooting a light bullet. The hydrostatic shock exits through the entrance wound and causes a huge entrance wound; no exit wound. The first deer I shot with a .264 Win mag, I mistook the entrance wound for an exit wound. I thought I had gone crazy until I dressed the deer. I knew which way it was standing, or I thought I did anyway.

Back