Is it illegal?????? Pistol for a gift to a 19 year old

Jcervo

Inactive
Hello,

Recently I have been told both... it is and it is not illegal for a persons father to purchase a pistol, take it home, and hand it to his teenager as a birthday gift. Although I am 19, I have 3 pistols given to me as gifts. As long as these stay at home and locked up when I am not using them at the range, is it illegal for my father to purchase them and give them to me to use? Also I will not have these in public because I am not 21. I am not some stereotypical teen where it seems like I want a gun to hold up a 7-11 or a bank, I am simply a young American wanting to enjoy my second amendment and do not want hassled because of this lol

I live in the state of CO

federal law says its OK, and he can buy a handgun in a private sale from a resident of the same state. He won't be able to buy ammo for it though.

Colorado may have more restrictive laws though.

You are old enough to possess a pistol so it would be perfectly legal for him to gift you a pistol. As long as you have no felonies or domestic violence then why couldn't you posses one in public? (You can).

So you can't buy a new one until you're 21, and you may have trouble buying ammo for it, but you darn sure can possess it at 18, if it is for lawful use.

According to Federal law, no one under the age of 21 may purchase a handgun or handgun ammunition from a federally licensed dealer. Federal law also stipulates that anyone under the age of 18 is prohibited from posessing a handgun except under a handful of specific circumstances. Since you're 19 you may, as far as federal law is concerned, posess a handgun, purchase one from a private individual, or recieve one as a gift. One thing you may not do, however, is give your dad or anyone else the money for a handgun and then have them go and buy it for you as that is considered a straw purchase and is illegal. State and local laws, of course, may vary.

Thank you very much for the advice. I was wondering if since I was 19 years of age, is it legal for me to open carry in public or to go get my ccw. I will have to look into that

You mentioned 18 is legal in Alabama, Does anyone else have information on that?

I have been shooting at the range with my grandfather for several years and never need to worry about transportation.

Now that he is not able to visit as often, I would like to be able to go meet some friends for a few hours at the range without being worried with a federal firearms violation.

What about without a permit, can I at 20 (few months from 21) carry in the trunk unloaded?

Lol..feel free to google it bud and I don't know about that maybe on your own land it would be ok but im not for sure. Just google firearm laws in alabama or handgun laws in alabama and see if what you can find

I know that Oregon law allows a parent to give an handgun to one of there children. I gave a .380 to my daughter when she as ten. I kept a tight rein over it until she was old enough to have it on her own, but it was always her's...

Tony

I remember my daughter taking up shooting up my 1911a1 when she was 12. The only problem with this was keeping her supplied in ammo... It made for good memories all around. I highly recommend families shooting together. It's even better if it's tied into a camping trip...

Tony

Back