Is Hydrashock's Day In The Sun Over?

Hydrashock's started out as a cast/swaged .38 HP, 30 years or more ago. They didn't really do what they claim any better than any other JHP then either.

I won't quit using it. Best accuracy, and best shot to shot repeatability in my weapon, compared to another half-dozen of today's best SD rounds. Proven track record, also.

I have a box of the original made by Scorpion, they are hollow base WC's seated backwards with a center post.

Hydra-shok went through a number of iterations; I've used at least three distinct variations of the 230gr .45 load, and the latest version was presumably an improvement on the first and second.
I still have a couple of mags stoked with the last version that I bought, and I suspect a hit with one of them is a lot better than a miss with something else.
That said, I've changed to Winchester SXT as my load of choice, and that may have also been superseded by something REALLY effective?

Guv said:
I have a box of the original made by Scorpion, they are hollow base WC's seated backwards with a center post.
Interesting. 40 years ago I used to handload a defense load for my Mod 60 S&W s/s .38 Spl which consisted of 135 gr. hollow base w/c loaded backward in the case. Strickly a 10-15 ft. protection round cause beyond 15 feet they tumbled so bad you couldn't hit a barn with them. Up close, though, they really caused a mess.

RickB said:
That said, I've changed to Winchester SXT as my load of choice, and that may have also been superseded by something REALLY effective?
I have stayed in the family... using std vel. HST 124 gr.

IMHO, Hydrashok's day in the sun ended five or six years ago. I would use them if that's all I had, but I think there are much better choices today.

I do watch these videos and take them into account. I have heard that Hydrashocks feed well and if it was the only type of JHP that my gun liked I would use it without hesitation.

But yeah, the consensus from most youtube gelatin tests seems to be that Hornady Critical Defense is one of the most consistent performer in most calibers. It's also, in my experience, the cheapest and most widely available, so it's what I use.

It probably works as well as anything else but lots of other things have come out since then. It's not the latest and greatest anymore, but neither is solid lead swhp and we all know how well they say those work.

hydrashok is the only bullet I couldn't get to expand from .38+p.

hyrashok up top, flattened from hitting the concrete after 2 feet of water. I know it's not the most scientific method of bullet testing, but it has made EVERY other bullet expand perfectly except the hydra. tried twice.

I wonder if a Hydrashock can even still stop a thug (or even hurt him) since it's apparently no longer fashionable, and therefore no longer dangerous? :rolleyes:

Ditto for the infamous Federal 357B Mag load that has an enviable record against bipeds, but can't seem to win praise from certain dwellers on message boards. :o

Have humans become tougher in the last 15 years?

I don't think anyone is saying that any bullet isn't deadly or dangerous. but hydrashok's are sold at the same premium as other "defense" ammos, I want the BEST option that I can afford to protect myself. if we are talking plinking ammo, I wouldn't give the same level of scrutiny. carry ammo needs to be strongly evaluated IMO

While I totally agree with the sentiment of, "humans are not any tougher" you also have to take in to account that ballistics is a science that's constantly being researched. People study short falls in ammo and try to fill in the gaps; hence the gold dots, HST's, ect. I have no problem carrying Hydrashok but when it cost the same as its better performing competitors, it's a no brainier.

I have one of the mags for my Beretta loaded up with Hydrashocks, I honestly wouldn't feel any better off with the mag full of Gold Dot's over it. I don't get caught up in the latest and greatest HP's, in the end that is really the least of your worries.

Back