Is Hornady Frontier ammunition good?

Runs With Fire

I just bought four different boxes of Hornady Frontier for my 16 inch bull barrel DPMS .223 with 1:9 twist. The ones I bought were:
55 grain FMJ
55 grain hollow point match
55 grain spire point
NATO M193 FMJ 55 grain

I'm trying out one grain weight at a time. The price was sweet, and Hornady seems to have a good reputation for their bullets, though I've never shot them.
I'll have plenty of range time Friday to give me a go. Is Hornady Frontier better value than the cheap stuff? Or is it just another low performing, inexpensive round?

Last edited:
Really it depends on if your rifle likes it or not. I've had really cheap ammunition (Wolf, Tula, etc.) that shot well in some rifles and others that hated it. Probably the cheap brand I've had the most luck with is Federal American Eagle.

Last edited:
Really it depends on if your rifle likes it or not. I've had really cheap ammunition (Wolf, Tula, etxc.) that shot well in some rifles and others that hated it. Probably the cheap brand I've had the most luck with is Federal American Eagle.
I'll try American Eagle after I shoot the heavier weight Frontier loads.

I found the Frontier w/55 HP very accurate in a couple of 1-7 & 1-8 barrels. A plus is that it shoots to same POI as Hornady 55 V-max in the 50 round boxes out of one rifle.

I have shot a few hundred rounds of the Hornady Frontier 55 grain .223 HP "Match" and a little of the .223 55 grain FMJ.

Accuracy of the .223 HP Match seemed pretty good out to 500 yards. Rifle had an 18" barrel, 1:7 twist, with a .223 Wylde chamber.

But the ammunition seemed dirtier to me than most.

The Frontier 55 HP is an improvement over the Steel Match 55 HP w/o much more cost. As long as i can get the Frontier, I'll pass on any more Steel Match. AFAIK both use the same bullets.

Back