Is HK USP compact good? If it is, should I get .40 or.45?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Sig Man

I have a rare Sig P229 9mm, and I love it. Now I am thinking about buying another gun, and my choice narrowed down to HK usp compact since it is from Germany. But, all I have shot is 9mm,so I do like to try either .40 or .45 which one should I get? Also, I've heard that getting USPC parts are extremely hard.....What should I do?

I am a die hard USP fan. I love the line of pistols, they are great, my primary carry is a USP .40 and I desperately want an Expert.

That being said, I *do not* recommend the compacts. They are just too big and bulky, they are more like Mid Sized than Compact.

As much as I don't like Glock, I would recommend the Glock 30 before the USP 45C, and if you are going to have only 10 rounds, you might as well have the biggest bullets possible, right? Or get the new single stack Glock .45 subcompact, whatever it is.

Now, that being said, if you are a die hard .40 fan, then stay away from the G27. Yeah, kB's aren't that common, and they only happen with factory screwups/ lead reloads, but you know what? I'd rather not have to worry about that at all. Yes, USP's have kB'ed as well, but they *are* tougher, no doubt about it.

The problem is, they are bigger!!!!

It's up to you. If size is your big thing, and you are looking for your best concealment option, you are better off with the Glock. If you prefer a bit more safety in the .40 range and like having an actual hammer, safety and decocker, get the USP Compact. Both are reliable, well engineered, etc.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
www.bladeforums.com

Yeah... What Spark said.
:)

------------------
"Supreme authority derives from a mandate from the masses. Not from some farsicle aquatic ceremony."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Sig Man,

I too am considering a USP Compact and having a tough time deciding between .40 and .45. A couple of things to consider:

(1) Magazine capacity of the .40 is 10, but of the .45 is only 8 (you probably knew this, but one of the posts who responded to you apparently didn't).

(2) The USP Compact .45 is a little different that the 9mm and .40. It's about 1/3" longer, .06" higher, and weighs a tiny bit more.

(3) I read somewhere that the .45 has a couple of minor enhancements not included in the older .9mm and .40. Sorry, but I don't remember what they were (I'll see if I can find the article I read).

I really haven't decided which way to go. But I agree that these seem like really nice guns. It's true that they aren't really "compact" (compared with Keltecs, etc.), but they feel more comfortable in the hand without being too large. Good luck.

Sig man,
hey, i thought i was the only guy with a 229 in 9mm! what a great shooting gun.
As for the compacts, i've held a compact 40 and a glock 23 in each hand to see how they felt.
The H&K is refined, heavy duty and looks cool. (especially with the stainless slide.)
but you know what, i liked the glock better.
its simple, rugged, and i can get clips everwhere.
As a H&Kusp45 guy I hate to say it, but get a glock.
If you are going to the 9mm to a bigger caliber for the first time, whatever you get, 40 or 45, keep shooting. You will get used to the more recoil.

nebob - You may have an HK, but your not an HK USP GUY just yet...
Your not following the Golden HK rules... lets just practice with rule 1.
1. If anyone ever asks any question like "what kind... ?" The answer is ALWAYS HK! Always.

Lets let you practice that one for awhile...

Now your on the road to TRUE Hecklerdom.
:)

------------------
"Supreme authority derives from a mandate from the masses. Not from some farsicle aquatic ceremony."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Who the hell cares if it's from Germany or Thailand or where ever, the point is make sure you can "hit" the target with it!

I would go 40 over the 45 compact in the USP.

Terminal ballistics are too close to call, even with no expansion, and you get two more tries to do it right w the 40.

DEA has contracted for up to 10K USP compacts. They also contratced for up to 20K SIG 40s BTW. Expect other guns to follow. They like their guys to have a choice.

------------------
>>>>---->

As an owner of a H&K USP compact in .45ACP, I must admit that I feel a certain admiration for the tool. To me it's the best blend of poly construction and Browning philosophy that I've seen. Yes, it's a little too think through the slide, and I'd rather have a little longer barrel in the slide, but overall it's a super reliable tool, and accurate as well. It is a weapon that I do trust my life to. I believe that from what I've seen its the best compromise out there, Although I'd rather have a phaser!!

------------------
**P.P.L.L.**

Hi the SIGMAN, you should stay true to your religion and buy another SIG. The P220 Sport and the P229 Sport are both waiting for you.

I've always been of the philosophy that you should choose a caliber with the largest cross sectional diameter as you can handle comfortably and accurately. While I respect the 40S&W caliber, I would choose the 45ACP over the 40S&W not only for better ballistics, but due to better ammunition availability in the US.

Tim
http://www.streetpro.com/ewc2000
Edged Weapons Conference 2000

What a tough choice choosing between the USP compact in either 40 or 45! Nevertheless, my opinion is if you are buying compact, concealability must be one of your objectives. The 40C is a fairly fat gun already, a 45C even more so. I own a 40C and a 45FS. I love both but if I'm not really buying for concealment and I want a 45 the fullsize is a great way to go. The 45C compared to the 40C is fatter and taller.

------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back