Is Flicking Yer Folder Open a Bad Thing?

I'm not familiar with the emerson, but If its a lockback like a spyderco, too much flicking will wear out the lock & make the blade wobbly. I wore out 2 police model spydercos that way. I use them at least 10 times a day at work. I sent them back to spyderco for repairs & instead they sent a new knife! The liner locks are more resistant to wearing out because the blade isn't stopped by the lock mechanism itself, rather by the solid stop of the body. I suspect the emerson uses a linerlock.

Doing it to your Emerson should be okay. The stop pins should be able to handle it. But that said, with all things Human, or made by Humans, you should inspect it occasionally.
It's really not recommended to flick most folders as it would accelerate wear on the stop pin.

Wear-and-tear issues aside, it can also lead to loss of the knife when you really can't afford it. I prefer a manual opening with the thumb to gravity-assisted openings. The time difference between the two isn't that great and you don't chance losing your knife with manual opening.

If fast openings are an issue for you, I suggest that you look into a fixed blade like Bob Dozier offers or a Gryphon M10 from Bob Terzuola. Fixed blades are always going to be faster than folders and you're relying on a gross-motor skill to get the blade into play (grabbing as opposed to grabbing and then manipulating the blade with a gravity-assisted or manual opening).

I think it is ridiculous anyway. I have friends who can thumb flick even their buck knives open withing tenths of a second of a switchblade. Faster actually when you consider that you have to completely draw a switchblade before pressing the button or switch that flips the blade open. With a buck, I know people who begin the thumb-flicking process before they've even compeletely cleared leather. Also, since they wore their sheaths on the backside of their belt, one did not see the knife until it was open already anyway.

Can someone in here explain to me what rationale was used to outlaw switchblade and bali-song knives in the first place?

Can someone in here explain to me what rationale was used to outlaw switchblade and bali-song knives in the first place?

Because they look eee-vil and those are what the gangstas use. ;)

kungfool and runt:

I think the Fed law goes back to the '50s or so. Lots of MOVIES and such with Brando type baddies in gangs using switchblades. Some folks in Congress apparently got a little carried away, confusing Hollywood with reality. Or so I'm told. C.R. Sam, I'm putting out the Samsignal over Dewey to get you or one of your able sidekicks to respond here with more on how this nonsense came about--I'm going on an article I read several years ago, memory may be foolin' me. Edit: BTW I like to call them semi-automatic knives, they only open ONCE with each push of the button!:D

Skunkabilly,

I've had my Benchmade Stryker for around 3 years now and everyday I flick the sucker open at least a 5 times, and that would be a conservative figure.

The titanium liner pin shows absolutely no wear. Being a similar quality liner lock, I would venture to say it's not a problem in the least.

I couldn't imagine opening my knife any other way.
This is how my knife prefers to be opened, it just seems uncivilized to do so otherwise. :D

I have an Emerson folder than I flick open sometimes for fun. Is that bad?
Loosens the screw and warps the clip.

Other than that, it just looks all tactical and mean and stuff. :o Not recommended in public places where it might scare the baa-baas.

- pdmoderator

Back