Is Colt bringing back the 1911A1?

utvols

I read that Colt is going to produce a brand new 1911 based off the old GI. Evidently it is supposed to be an exact copy. Is there any truth to this?

I was the one asking this question on the 1911forum. A guy over there that was at the SHOT Show said they had two of them at their booth. Supposedly it will be a Custom Shop limited edition. Its suppossed to be identical in every respect, except made on modern machinery with better tolerences. They also left off the Series 80 safety and even had the US property marks on the frame. I have a 1911A1 made in '43 with the military markings on it. It's in 98% condition and I don't want to fire it, so this is why I hope they do offer this pistol for sale, even if it is through the Custom Shop.

Sierra, I know how you feel! Trust me! Thats was my reaction when I read it on the 1911forum. I just got a '43 1911A1 from a guy over there. Came to the gunstore earlier. I'm in LOVE!! I used to have one but got stupid and got rid of it! Now I have another one, may not be the exact same one, but at least its the same year. Thats why I want this one from the custom shop, so I won't feel so guilty shootin' it! That new '43 model is in 98% condition and is extremely clean!

The 1991A1 was pretty close to a 1911A1

even had a serial # in sequence with the last ones built in 1945.

If Colt is listening......I WANT ONE!!
But with Colt's quality control/fit/finish somewhere on the shabby side these days, Would anyone trust them with a thousand bucks+ for one of these babies, and would it shoot like the old ones? Would it be improved in any way?

Anybody else have any input?

Springfield Armory 1911A1 Milspec (now with stupid integral lock, useless)

Norinco (can't import)

Auto-Ordnance 1911A1?

seeing that all the new 1911s from Springfield now have the Lock on them, it's not all that bad, all you need to do is not use it. if i buy a Mil-Spec 1911A1 here this Summer all i will do is put the key in my lock boxs and not use it, how hard is that:D

From what i've been told by my local dealer the SA Mil-spec's are no more. They weren't listed with 2001 models on SA's website last week. Only "loaded" models with the lock.

-ric

SA will have locks on them,....but from what i heard, lock is on mainspring housing,..a so, i would guess,.. if replace msh,.. then no more locks :)

as far as Colt 1911-A1,.. check out 1911forum.com,... on Colt board postings by Mark655,.. he said he is a general foreman for colt handguns,... seems to know what he is talking about,..so,.. take it fwiw.

i sure would want one,...but damn SB15 in Kali!!!

Over at 1911forum.com, one of the moderators is the General Foreman of Handguns at Colt.

Ok, the story is that the 1911A1 is not replacing the 1991A1. The 1911A1 is actually the re-issue of the WWII service pistol that came out of Hartford in the early 40's. It has a wide spur hammer with a half cocked notch, palm swell mainspring housing with lanyard loop, checkered safety lock, slide stop and mag release, low profile thin blade sight with the line stamped just in front of the rear sight. All of the original roll marks to include the government inspectors stamp and proof stamp. Plastic grips just like the composite grips on the original, with a parkerized finish. And O yes I almost forgot, no firing pin safety. The gun will not be a high run item, I would say approx. 200 per month, offerred through the Custom Shop only. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure the gun will retail for in the $900 range.

K05A, have you seen a recent Colt? An XS or a '91A1 made on the new machinery? Most people who have, say they are the best Colts in years, maybe since the war. I just bought a two-year-old M1991A1, apparently from the bad old days; the barrel lock-up is tight, the square parts are square and the round parts are round. I have yet to see a bad Colt, but I think I've heard about each and every bad one on this forum, more than once. If the new M1911A1 is a reintroduction of the original, how could it be "improved"; the attraction is that it's the same!

You and I are on the same page RickB. IMHO the Colt 1911A1 (US military model) was the perfection of the (insert proper word here). When I asked about <B>improvements</b> I wanted to know of they would be changed in any way from the milspec design, because then I wouldn't want one. Just from memory, Jeff Cooper spoke of the German word <I>Schlimverbesserung</i>. "Improvements" that aren't. 1991 series safeties, Integral locks, make the product worse, IMHO.

1873 SAA
1920? 1927? 1911A1

You can't hardly improve on this, and attempts to do so, did the opposite.

Back