Is a "Tac Light" on an AR15 unnessesary?

anytime you might be using it for self-defense in situations where the rule of law holds (and thus you will be held accountable for proving that the shootee presented a threat to your life), a light is a good thing.

in a SHTF scenario where the rule of law no longer holds, then it "merely" provides target ID and illumination.

I believe a detachable weapon-mounted light with a momentary switch is a Good Thing for "urban carbines" and "rural carbines" for that matter.

I installed the Sure-Fire 500A on my CAR-15
when they first came out. I love it. It is so bight that it will stop people in there tracks and cause their eyes to tear up almost instantly. The only thing I don't like about it is that it added almost 2 pounds to my rifle. When I shoot it during the day I take it off and use my M-4 handguards. I also use it for coyote and rabbit hunting at night. It supplies enough light to see animals at 100 yards or more depending on conditions.

Good Luck, Woody

Yes they are worth it.

You dont need to buy the 400 dollar sure fire nifty light... There are many light options and a good bright light is a good thing. Could mean the difference in a big way when you have heard a strange bump in the night.

I suggest "GET ONE" As long as it is very vright and very reliable.
I have seen mounts for a minimag light... Cute. Dont waste you time or money. Ge on that is very bright. I am using a rechargable Stream Light that can clip on fast and stays put. I can take it off just as fast too. (about 2 seconds if I take my time.)

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Weapons enthusiasts,

Thanks a million for the advice. I think I'll go ahead with my order.

Woody,

That's a good idea of having 2 sets of handgaurds so I don't have to dismount the light system when I don't need it.

Good shooting.

One point to mention (and I've seen this noted on this forum before but it may bear repeating) is that some uses of "tac-lites" violate Rule 2 - "never point your weapon at anything you don't intend to perforate." That "bump in the night" might be your teenage son coming home after a night's partying.

Back