Is a Rem model 70 7mm short mag rare?

Boone

Inactive
My brother asked me if a Rem model 70 7mm short mag is rare. I don't think that it is but I thought I'd pose the question to the experts. Is it rare and What would one be worth?

Boone

Well, there are a few mixed up things:
* Remington does not make the Model 70, they make the Model 700. Model 70 rifles are sold under the Winchester name.
* Remington 700s in 7mm RSAUM (Rem Short Action Ultra Mag) are not rare, but ammo for the 7mm RSAUM is going to be hard to find. Remington quit chambering the RSAUM line of cartridges about 10 years ago.
* If it is indeed a Model 70, it would be a Winchester, and it would be chambered for 7mm WSM (Winchester Short Magnum). These are not rare either.

I have a bunch of Winchesters that would jump out of the gun cabinet and bite you if they heard you call a Remington a Model 70.

Only the pre'64 models are rare. Poor control of tolerances and hand labor fitting badly made parts is highly prized by the older generation.

The new Rem Model 70's are actually much better, and even marketed by others with their name on them. Pretty hard to tell apart, other than that. :rolleyes:

I almost replied "the rifle isn't rare - but the ammunition is...."

lol @ previous comments.

I passed up a good deal on a 7mm short magnum - the ammo would run me into the poor house.

Kind of like the phone companies that give away the phone --- if you sign up with their calling plan.

Back