Is a leupold vx3 4.5-15x50 good for a 7mm ultra mag

les_

Inactive
A good friend of mine ask me to ask you guys this ? is a leupold vx3 4.5-14x50 a good match for a 7mm ultra mag. I told him it seem a little to much but sence he already has both he will make the best of it. His ? Is this at what range should he 0 it and what the longest safest possible shot? Is it a good match? Any sugestions will be greatly apreciated thanks.

Depending on where he hunts I would zero it @ 200 for western hunts and maybe less for eastern or southern hunts.

The extra power comes in handy at the range when sighting in and practicing. Just remember to leave it on 4.5 while out in the field. If he mostly hunts densely forested areas then the 4.5 might be a little to much.

As far as range goes, that is up to him. Just remember that the field is way different than the range.

We live in california and theres all types of terrein it could go from heavy forest to wide open land.

7mm rum is a bean field cartridge and the scope your looking at is a bean field scope.

imho a general purpose scope should have a lower minimum magnification. 3-9x40 has been a standard for many years. Even though I don't hunt in brush anymore I like to have a bottom end lower than that.

What scope you use doesn't make much difference in how you zero the rifle.
The 7mm rum had a point blank zero of about 310yds, give or take depending on ammo.

It will work, but is a larger scope than I would buy.

I would never sight in a magnum for less than 250 yards, and 3 inches high at 100 yards is the perfect hunting range.
If you know your trajectory you don't have to worry about hold over until you pass 350. I don't have much use for a bunch of aim points in the scope. Learn your rifle and trajectory and you will not need them at game ranges.

I see on TV folks with such scopes, range finders, and bipods. The game has to wait a long time to get shot.
Jerry

In my view, that scope is just about perfect for the rifle. For hunting purposes, I've come to prefer the 4.5-14 over most anything else. I have a couple with the 40mm objective, but I'd be perfectly happy with the 50mm objective.

It's bigger than what I'd pick. Personally, I'd opt for a 3x9 40mm. I hunt in the woods of Kentucky but also hunt out in Wyoming with a 7mm Rem Mag.

A 3x9 will cover both of those areas well shooting any where from 40 yards to 300 yards. I usually zero mine at 150 yards.

With that said, the scope in question will work although the 50mm objective might require a taller set of rings than he'd normally use to clear the barrel.

I wouldn't have a 50mm scope as a gift. A Leupold VX-3 is a darn good scope, but I'd save a chunk of money and get the 3.5-10X40. It is less expensive and will perfrom any task the 4.5-15X50 does.

Les, Being born and raised in Calif I did lot of hunting Northern part of the state and some of the Sierra's before moving to Co. I normally hunted the late season and depending where we hunted same as here wait of them to move down out of the snow or go up high after them.

My nephew just had 338mag build with leupold 4.5x14x40 be one of his long range rifles out there he's lives in Stockton and he get those X tag's every so often.

I got to hunting the more open terrain out there so wasn't much around the brush or heavy timber and I like to sight-in 200yds and may adjust that after 500yds target. If your close to Ione they got that 1000yd range.

Since your friend got that scope/rifle and plans on using them no point in saying he should of done something different. Well good luck

Sounds like a good combo. Mirage might cause some problems on warm days with magnification above 12 power but that is easily remedied by turning it down a little.
+1 on keeping the power on 4.5 during hunting, at 10 power a deer is a scope full of fur @ 30 yards.:D

It will work, but the scope he has is strictly for open country. I agree with those who recomended a 3X9 or 3.5X10. If nine power won't do the job, the animal is just too far. Deer and such don't always stand around waiting for the bullet to get there. Should they move, you are in for a bad hit. Wind becomes a major factor at extreme ranges. There is too much emphasis on long range shooting now, even though the average guy can't hit an elephant under field conditions. In most of the videos showing game taken at 600 yards, the shots were taken by experts who could have cut the distance in half, but that would not have been so dramatic. I got my first deer while Ike was in his first term and killed more than my share of deer, elk, and moose. Never have I needed to shoot much over 300 yards with most animals being under 150 yards. Shooting targets at extreme range is great fun, just not animals. Also it is very difficult in dark rainy woods to quickly pick out an animal at much over 3 power. Sorry, I got back on my soap box again.

Back