Is a 7MM Remington Magnum too much for heavy timber?

Will Beararms

I have thought about getting a 7MM Rem Mag just for the heck of it. My longest shot will never exceed 100 yards. Is this too much gun for Whitetail hunting in thick timber and brush? I don't subscribe to brush-busting. I believe in waiting for right shot and shooting through the open spots in a vital area.

How does this caliber kick in comparison to a .30-06?

Again, this would be for the heck of it so let the opinions fly.

Thanks

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

[This message has been edited by Will Beararms (edited July 09, 2000).]

I don't know that there is ever "too much" as far as terminal ballistics - on target, etc. May be that the & mag is "too much" for what you intend to do. (& as an aside, kudos for "no brush-busting" - a misnomer in my mind).

Far as that goes, I wouldn't choose a 7 mag for what you stated, just because it isn't "needed" for what you intend.

.41/.44 mag (or equivalent) in the pistol class to the 30/30 to 7-08 (class) would do you just as well as the 7 mag. Anything in between and +&- a hair will serve you just fine.

'Course, your opening statement "just for the heck of it" really does say it all, huh? ;)

That's enough IMHO, but, you can do "it all" with less (but only if you want to ;)).

BTW, the 7 mag kicks a bit more than the 30-06 in my experience - YMMV. & I pretty much did away with my 30-06 & started using a Rem M7 .308 just because I didn't "need" the
30-06 power for elk in the same scenario you presented for deer.

labgrade:

Thanks for your insight. I am looking at the Remington 700 ADL Youth in .308 as a possible option but again, I for once, want to go out and buy a gun just because I like it not because there's another gun ban coming up or another Y2K on the horizon.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

The 7mm bullets tend to have very high ballistic coefficients, and thus retain their velocities better than a lot of other calibers.

With the larger case capacity, bullets in the 140- to 160-grain category can be driven a good bit faster than than from the '06.

The primary advantage in an area where longer shots are the norm is that range estimation is a little less critical because of the flatter trajectory.

If I already had a 7Maggie, and got an invite to hunt in an area like you describe, I wouldn't buy another gun. However, the probability is that I might buy a lesser-power scope--or use iron sights if they were already on the gun and my eyes were 40 years younger. :)

But it's a good bit "more gun" than is needed.

FWIW, Art

It is indeed a "bit more gun" than necessary.

At 100 yards max in timber, how about a .30-30, a .270, or at most a .30-06?

Back