is .308 ammo from Cole distributing any good?

vince weng

it seems a pretty good deal. $179.99/1000 in .308 (manufactured by Portuguese) from Cole distributing. Is this ammo good? If you have tried this before, could you let me know how you think of it?

I think it is plenty fine!

I have used it in my bolt rifles without a problem. Accurate as anything else I've bought commercial (a friend's handload was better, but he doesn't make enough to give me more than 10 at any one go out...guess I will have to eventually break down and get into handloading).

Will soon have the opportunity to use it in my new (kit)FAL, and I expect zero problems.

Ammoman.com is selling British 7.62 NATO also. I've tried of that stuff before, and I like it too. Not dirty at all.

Stay away from the Venezuelan and Malaysian surplus...I've not used it, but my handloading friend has, and well, this is why he handloads now.

Duncan

duncan,
that malasian is that bad?, I just recently ran accross three battle packs of the stuff and had been considering it...tks for the heads up...fubsy.

Fusby,

To paraphrase my friend (who got me back into guns and knows much more about the whole shooting world than I ever will): Duncan, stay away from the Malay 7.62 NATO surplus. I bought 100 rounds and had 12 cases split or separate, followed by the ensuing hassles. And the powder...I don't know if it was old or just poorly made, but that stuff fouled up my rifle something fierce. Besides, it felt extremely slow slow. I may have just had a bad batch, but once bitten.....

Please note that this was 3-4 years ago, so maybe the newer surplus isn't as bad...or maybe it it worse.

The CAVIM from Venezuela (in same caliber) warning was a little different: I swear they use corrosive primers! And I got some "no fires". But it was slightly cleaner than the Malaysian stuff.

So, in the end, he wasn't too happy about either. He turned me onto Cole's Portuguese 7.62 NATO after trying a small batch first, and so I bought 1000 rounds. Over 600 of it has gone through various rifles with not such as a wimper. I am happy with it.

The 7.62 NATO from ammoman.com is tops on my buddies list, and though I've run only 75 rounds through a bolt rifle, no complaints here. Seemed plenty clean too, or all that Ed's Red I use is having proactive cleaning effects.

Duncan

Back