Is $300 too much to pay for a...........

cjw

first issue Colt Cobra in "very good condition" ? I would really like one, but also don't want to be taken to the cleaners. Also, how well do they hold up in comparision to an all steel det. special? Lastly, what do you guys think about a blued, 3rd issue det. special in near perfect condition for $380 or a nickel, near perfect 2nd issue for $400 ? My interest in these guns is fun range use (I already have plenty of guns for self defense).

Thanks everybody!

The aluminum frame Cobra is great for carry, but if you are going to do alot of shooting then I recommend the Detective Special and the Colt Commando as both models have steel frames.

I bought my Colt Detective Special new for $330.00, I think the prices have gone up a bit because Colt does not make these guns anymore.

One thing that you MUST be very careful about on the Colt lightweights is the condition of the frame where the cylinder bolt comes up through the bottom strap.

I've seen more than just a few Cobras that have a bulged frame on the thin (right) side of the frame next to the cylinder bolt.

I'm not exactly sure what causes this, but I suspect it is people abusing their guns and wrist-flipping the cylinder shut (A**HOLES!)

This can, if severe enough, cause cylinder lock-up problems. I suppose it could be fixed by a gunsmith who could pein the frame back into place, but it would be a delicate operation and would possibly expose the frame to future cracking at that point.

For a 'fun at the range' gun, I would go for the "blued, 3rd issue det. special in near perfect condition for $380" if that is a fair price in your area, but I would try to work them down on the price. I have seen a fair number of them down here in the $275-$350 range, and managed to pick up one from a local pawn shop that was hurting for cash for $250 out the door (it is so clean that I have not even been able to bring myself to shoot it yet :D).

It is a very fair price for the Cobra, but the Cobra is better as a CCW (kicks more, won't hold up as well LONG term), and at that price unless it is rough around the edges is probably the best value/investment of the bunch.

Frame battering at the cylinder bolt window can be caused by VERY rapid firing. Pretty common on hard used stainless Smiths too.

Sam

Very true, Sam, but in Smiths the problem isn't nearly so serious as it is on a Colt given the central location of the cylinder bolt cut.

Which way does the cylinder rotate on a Colt?

Clockwise as you're looking at it, doesn't it? If it were counterclockwise I could see that rapid firing could cause battering.

Cylinder rebounds a little when workin it fast, batters both sides of frame window, shows quicker on the thin side of the colt.

Sam

Back