Is $300 a good trade in price for S&W model 28 hwy ptrlmn

cal49m

Inactive
Dealer sez he will allow $300 toward another purchase for my mod 28 which I bought in 1978. I never use it. Is that a fair price? thanks, Cal.

I think that is a very good trade price, bearing in mind he will want to sell it for more than that which means he plans on asking more than Model 28s usually go for. It must be in very good condition. I have a very nice Model 28-2 and would want 300 on mine if I traded it and mine is in very, very good condition. Just my opinion.

cal49m

Sir or Madam--respectfully- whoever the case may be.
My submission is a question
'Which particular' handgun to you use if you don't use your N frame?
Don Mallard

Doesn't smell right. $300 is more than average. retail for a like new in box 28, unless it is one of the rareish factory brushed Nickle ones.

If he is offering you about double the normal trade in amount against another gun.........my guess is that he has overpriced the gun you want by at least that amount.

Suggest you do a little more research on both ends of the deal.

Sam

no doubt about it......

....Sam
The dealer is taking the N frame---for free--in the end result.
Each of us is quite free to prefer and shoot whatever caliber and brand and configuration we choose.
My training and subsequent 'use' of 'a' N frame in 357 magnum was literally a pure tool which was choosen to perform a deadly task.
Any 27 or 28 owner --now-- should at least consider not parting with their magnums.
If they continue to pursuit the art of the handgun then in due time they will re-discover the original magnum workhorse.
The retail price of those fine instruments will only go way up.
........what I am inferring is not just a 'free plug' for the N frame but rather how handgunners consider their guns as just another piece of steel. Some models and brands are superior to others.
There is a very definate strength and longevity in the N frames which is not found in any other model which Smith and Wesson has ever manufactured.
They are unique works of craftsmanship. I consider any person who does not own one but desires to do so is very fortunate indeed because they 'are' available today even as used they can be readily found to be in excellent shape and ready to be shot heavily on a regular basis.
My first introduction to the N frame found me not understanding why that particular model was choosen.
30+ years later with constant use and proper care has answered that question............
There are other 357's--frame sizes and configurations including many top quality brands ---BUT--if any 357 magnum is not a N frame Smith and Wesson ---it is less.
Don Mallard

cal49m, just curious, where you located in the US?

In Ca. the 28s are going for a fair bit more cause I think dealers finally realized that some of the Classic S&W guns can't be brought into the state from dealer to dealer transfers across state lines, stupid handgun safety bill which requires each dealer sold handgun to first be on the approval list.

I expect that blued N-frames of all types will be commanding a premium some time in the future within the occupied republic of california.

Heh, and if you just so happened to be in Ca. some place close to me I could likely take that 28 off your hands :)

Uping the annie?

Sounds like the dealer is allowing a far greater value,
than most dealer's are a custom to? I bought a LNIB
model 28 from a dealer in Illinois, and I only gave a
total of $270.00 for it; including S&H.

I agree with Mr. Mallard; as these fine relic's will only
go up in value. Marine's would call the S&W N-frame
magnums "Instrument's Of Death"; as they are noted
for their very fine accuracy.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

I bought a LNIB 28 a few months ago for $350.00. It even came with a small screw driver and cleaning brush. That gun is a keeper and I will hand it down to my son.

**'Which particular' handgun to you use if you don't use your N frame? **

After buying the 6 inch mod 28 on the recomendation of an aquaintance, I bought my first semi auto - a colt 1911 and that has been my favorite ever since. The 1911 feels like an extention of my arm very natural to hold and point. I never felt that comfortable with the mod 28. For me it was more like holding a big piece of iron in my hand rather than being like a part of my hand and I was'nt very good with it. I never used it much but I wanted a revolver that felt more natural so I decided to trde it for a LNIB mod 686 4 inch and that has a much better feel for me. I would of kept the 28 but revolvers are so expensive now.

Thanks for thr inquiries but its gone now. I'll probably regret selling it one day buy i thought $300 was fair.

Back