is 22-250 any good for deer?

nedfig

I been looking at a Rem 700 VS in 22-250 .270 or .308. It would be my deer rifle during the season and a long range (300-400 yds) plinker during the off season. Which round is a better choice for both deer and targets adequately and ethically?

The deer would be taken within 300 yds or less.

For deer hunting, of the three, the .22-250 is the least preferable. Too high of odds that a less-than-good hit lets a wounded animal get away and be lost.

The .270 with lighter bullets (but really, only if you handload) would be a good combination cartridge.

The overall advantage of the .308 is that there is a vast supply of inexpensive ammo available. It's an inherently accurate cartridge, and there are many different commercial loadings for it.

Hope this helps,

Art

nedfig,

I think you've got to get a Rem 700 Sendero if you want a .270 (the same gun as the VS with a long action - If I remember correctly).

Are you going to do a lot of walking during your hunts? That 26 inch target barrel makes the VS a pretty heavy rifle. My .223 VS comes in a little under 10 pounds with scope. If you're using a stand then that might not be a big deal, just something to consider.

Have Fun - JohnDog

Ooops... Additional

Check the hunting regulations on where you will be hunting. Out here in Colorado any caliber smaller that 6mm (.243) is illegal to use on big game.

JohnDog

The rule book in Texas says "No rimfire ammunition".

JonhDog
I would be sitting in a stand. I like the ballistics of the 22-250 better, but I think I will go with the .270 or .308 maybe even a .300 WinMag.

The rule in alaska is "no rimfire cartridges, for large game." So *theoretically* (I'm sure kieth wouldn't advise this :)) You can hunt grizzly and moose, with say, a .25 or .32 auto. In these cases, extreme judgement is advised.
That out of the way, let me tell you a .22-250. story. My dad had coyote hunted for quite a while with his .22-250, when they decided to go on an antelope hunt. He had recently bought his Winchester .270, but hadn't hunted with it, only shot it at the range. and sighted it for 100 yards. He spotted an antelope at about 400 yards, just standing there, but didn't know how his .270 would make the shot, but he did know his 2-2-2-5-Ohhh as he calls it. He benched with that, and dropped the antelope cold.
That was over 15 years ago, and now he says he could definatly do it with the 270, but he wasn't familiar with it, and didn't want to risk it.
I think the bottom line is, what kinda shots, what kinda country/cover/and what kind of a shot you are. A 22-250 bullet is small and fast, it can blow-up, or deflect on a piece of grass, or stick. If you get a jump shot and hit it in a leg, the bullet might blow up in the meat, and never reach vitals or bone, you'll be dealing with a wounded animal, that is probably coyote food. But for standing shots, heart/lung, that you feel you can make, it will work at almost any range (past 500 .22's start to loose the "blow-up" effect, and basically it's now a .22 rimfire.). If I could onle take one, I'd go with the .270 and load up/down. Good luck.

Well for the most part I have went on to bigger guns for most of my hunting.But the old standbuy I used for many years when I couldn't afford a lot of different guns to fool around with was a 270Win in a 700BDL Remington.I never lost a deer or Coyote with it that I Knew I had hit for sure.The 270 is a fine deer gun,In my opinion I think it is the best choice for the casual shooter or beginning hunter.Enought power,but not too much recoil,Flat shooting and usually plenty accurate in most examples.Forget the 22 calibers for deer they are for experts only when it comes to big game.And most real experts prefer something bigger.

Back