Iron sights on a Savage 93R17

I just got a Savage 17hmr and I am debating on cutting a dovetail in the barrel for Iron sights.

Has anyone done it?

Is there a rear sight that bolts to the scope base mounting holes?

Any recomendations on a good hunting style sight?

Thanks!

Christmas afternoon project

DSC01890.JPG

DSC01891.JPG

DSC01892.JPG

When I shopped aftermarket sights for the Savage MkII, I thought that Skinner Sights looked good. It seems highly likely that a new front sight will be needed. I am leery of the lack of click adjusters, having fought with the slip-and-slide aperture on an old Redfield Jr. scope mount, but I suppose once dialed in and locked down the Skinners should be OK.

Thanks. It came super close on the lettering. I was going to set it on the other side, but I wanted the longest sight radius possible.

The Skinner sight are very nice, but too nice for a hunting/pack rifle. I will be putting lyman sights on it, .400"-.500" rear leaf with .445" front with 1/16" bead is where I an going to start.

You're correct. The farther apart, the better off you are for the sight radius.

As far as sport, I like shooting with iron sights in place of a scope, because if you can do that, you know you can brag. I have a Winchester 75, with a Redfield Olympic sight, and an adjustable iris aperture. It's as accurate as any model 52 I've ever shot. Out of all my firearms, it is my favorite, beside my High Standard Supermatic. I have a ball at the range with them.

Just ordered the sights, ended up going with a .390 front, I will set it up with a 6 o'clock hold, so I figured I would knock the size of the bead off the height. Not really sure, its all a guess at this point.

Finally got to the range. The front sight was a bit too short. With the rear sight as low as it could go I was about 6" high at 50 yards. The 1/16" bead is also far too small for what this rifle is going to be used for.

I ordered a .500" tall front sight with a 3/32" green fiber optic bead to replace it.

I will be sighting it in with 20 grain CCI gamepoints with a 50 yard zero. That puts me at 1/4" low at 25 and 75 yards, and only 1.2" low at 100 yards, which this gun will almost never see.

I wondered about that. Flip up sights seem to be a tad higher than conventional wedge elevating iron sights. I thought about how the flip sights were used on the Browning .22 semi-auto rifle, and remembered the front sight always seemed a little higher than what was on other guns with regular sights.

Curious, how did you cut the dovetail? Do you tram the mill to an angle? Seems a little more difficult than running an endmill straight through it.

Back