Iron sights for my Axis

Polinese

Want to install a set of irons on my Savage Axis. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, but would prefer metal simply for durability. Lower cost is always a plus too as long as they're quality parts.

Look at the various shotgun sights for sale at brownells or midway etc. You might find something that may work. You will probably have to settle on one of the magnetic type sights as im not sure the thin barrel on the axis would take well to being drilled and tapped but im no gunsmith so i could be wrong. Any gunsmith would be able to hook u up but it would probably cost atleast half of what u paid for the gun.

See a local gunsmith. You will need to have him drill and tap holes. You can order sights from Midway or other suppliers for around $100. Total cost is not terribly expensive, about the same cost as a budget scope and mounts.

For the cost of installing open sights, you could have bought a model with sights on it. Possibly after the current big game seasons are over, you could buy a used model with sights for another $100 or so.

Get an adjustable rear peep and a not too big not too small hi vis front bead. Lyman or Williams are classic choices and never bad for iron sights.

Can't do the rear peep as I'm keeping a scope mounted on it. But wanted to install a set of irons as well since it's my trunk gun.

Interesting. I was looking at just a set of savage take off sights from numrich since all together it seemed pretty inexpensive and I may be wrong but also seemed to only need to be drilled and tapped not dovetailed.

Looks like the front site has a base drilled and tapped to the barrel and the actual post is dovetailed into the base to be adjustable for windage.

I stand corrected the rear sight is adjustable for both windage and elevation.

I can get the whole system for around 40 which doesnt seem bad, however its all plastic.

Last edited:
Back