Iron sight question

ckpj99

Ok, somebody check my math please.

The sight radius on my rifle is 31" so the circumference of the theoretical circle that radius would create would be 194.7" (C = 2 x pi x r)

So the distance of 1 degree of that circle would be .54" (194.7 divided by 360 degrees).

So one minute of angle (MOA) of my sight radius would be .009" (.54 divided by 60).

So in order to change my point of impact 1" at 100 yard I need to adjust the height of sight .009", correct?

1stmar - So I reached way back into my middle school algebra training and did some reduction of my formula.

The IIRC formula is good idea because the whole process can be reduced to a single math problem, however, why would they pick 3600?

The actual math calculates to sight radius divided by 3438. If you're going to round 3400 is the best, but even 3500 would be a better estimation.

1stmar is correct.

36 inches in a yard, 100 yards is 3600 inches. The simplest formula is as he said, divide the sight radius by 3600 and that will give you the distance the sight needs to move to move the bullet impact 1 inch at 100 yards.

You can use all the fancy math in the world, and if you use it right, you'll come up with the same answer.

KISS

Back