IPSC Rules Question

rainynight65

Some questions about IPSC rules - maybe someone can give some foolproof explanations :)

The rules for production division state:

19.1 Modifications to them, other than minor detailing, are prohibited. Prohibited modifications include
changing the original color and/or finish of a handgun, and/or adding stripes or other embellishments.

Does that mean it is not allowed to use a hardchromed gun in production if it wasn't hardchromed from factory?

20.3 Aftermarket grips which match the profile of the OFM standard for the approved handgun and/or the
application of tape on grips is permitted, however, rubber sleeves are prohibited.

What falls under 'rubber sleeves'? I have a set of Pachmayr signature grips on my Beretta - is that inside the specs or outside?

What are the general differences between Production and Standard, except for the power factors? Which division is suitable for a beginner with an unmodified handgun?

"Does that mean it is not allowed to use a hardchromed gun in production if it wasn't hardchromed from factory?"

That's right; if you take a blued factory pistol, and have it plated, it takes it out of Production division (at least under International rules).

"What falls under 'rubber sleeves'? I have a set of Pachmayr signature grips on my Beretta - is that inside the specs or outside?"

Screw-on grips for a pistol are OK, but things like the Hogue slip-on or even pieces of inner-tube are prohibited under this rule.

"What are the general differences between Production and Standard, except for the power factors? Which division is suitable for a beginner with an unmodified handgun?"

Power factor doesn't really matter in Production, since you get scored the same regardless (as long as you meet the 125 floor); for International production, you must use a pistol that has a minimum 5-pound trigger-pull for the first (double-action) shot, and has a barrel no longer than 5". The best division for you is going to depend on your specific pistol; something like a Hi-Power has to be used in Standard, Open, or Modified because it's single-action, but most versions of the CZ-75 could be used just as well in EITHER division (allowing for the power factor differences).

Thanks for the quick and comprehensive reply. I have a Beretta 92 (first series model), which is unchanged except for the Pachmayr grips. I don't know how they handle the IPSC rules here in South Africa, so I guess there is only one way to find out.

Back