IPSC 3-gun

gxi.llc

For the shotgun stages, I heard it takes a good amount of shot hitting the poppers to knock them down, but I don't want to handicap myself with a choke too tight. What choke do most of you use?

Last edited:
Depends. I use a Remington 1100 with screw in chokes for 3 gun. I have to stay to a heavier load (1oz@1250fps min) to keep the gun running 100%. I find Imp Cyl works for most shoots or if it's a stage that requires slugs. I may move up to Mod if the stage has smaller steel plates. It can be harder to clear the small plates because of fewer hits on target when compared to the size of the base. I've never seen a popper out far enough that a clean full pattern hit wouldn't take it down even with Cyl bore. I'd say Imp Cyl and Mod chokes will cover 99% of any shots you'd have to take. To be honest I don't feel any steel belongs in a 3 gun shoot that can't be taken down with full pattern hit by a 1oz load moving at least 1200fps from a Cyl bore. Police type riot guns should be viable tool at any match. IMHO

3 gun said everything. I was shooting small poppers at 20 yards with a skeet choke last week. I use Imp. Cyl most of the time with 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2 shot.

I've shot a couple of matches where field loads of 7 1/2 shot would not knock-down hinged steel plates, if shot from a cylinder bore. Some shooters brought heavier loads that they could selectively load for those stages, or they changed chokes, or both.

Thanks, guys. I didn't have a chance to shoot the new Benelli before the match, so it got broken in on the course. I left home with nothing but the IC choke by accident, but it was all I needed. I found some 1 1/8 oz #8 heavy dove loads, 100 rounds for $15 which is what I've been paying for light target loads for skeet. The heavier loads functioned flawlessly and never failed to drop a plate or popper. We had one stage that required 6 slugs to be shot at cardboard targets, then birdshot for a whole bunch of clays and plates, so changing chokes was not an option. The gun ran 100%, one of the only ones in my squad that had 0 problems. Even the guys with pumps were having problems, but I think some were caused by getting in a hurry and short-stroking them. I was very happy with the way the gun handled and the way I shot with it, thoug I don't know where my scores were with everyone else. I don't care, I had a great time! My only complaint is the 5-shot capacity, and when I bought it thought I could easily get a bigger tube for it, but apparantly Benelli is way behing sending accessories to distributors. Does anyone know where I can get a Benelli extension?

Back