Iorn sights with a scope on bolt action .308??

Bob S

I've always wanted a .308 bolt action, to put a nice scope on for long distance shots. I would probably get a remmington with a sythetic stock. My question is this. Most rifles of this type that I have seen NIB do not have iorn sights. If your going to put a scope on the gun, is it best to avoid iorn sights all together, or go with iorn sights and a set of scope rings that let you see through them and use the iorn sights as well? There may be an obvious answer to this, but I've never had a bolt action rifle. (or one with a scope for that matter.)

The thought of a scope and iron sights is a good idea if it would work . But unfortunately it doesn't work because the stock will either take one or the other. A scoped rifle stock is so straight you can't get down on the iron sights and a stock for iron sights has so much drop you can't have any cheek weld with a scope

I hate iron sites on anything. Scopes have spoilt me, you could say.

To answer your question, a .308, or any caliber, with a good scope/ring/base combination can't be beat!

Find you some Leupold or Redfield rings and bases and spend as much as you can afford on a scope. It's best to save up and get a nice scope to start with, rather than buy 3 or 4 other, cheaper, ones... It took me years to find that out, but now I'm set.

Let me add also, keep the scope as close to the barrel as possible without touching it. This improves accuracy and comfort while shooting. Your cheek will be resting on the stock, not wobbling around off it trying to see through the scope.

On my rifle, you can just slide a playing card between the objective end of the scope and the barrel. I'm getting .75" groups at 200 yards. Factory rifle, with a trigger job--that's all.

A lot of people say, "I like the iron sites and see-thru mounts so that if a deer is close to me I can just pop'em with the iron sites". That may be true, and I believed that for a while, but realized that I never used them. I would always use the scope, no matter how close the deer was to me.

Get a 3x9 scope, keep the power on 3 or 4 power, and don't worry about it.

Also, the scope will give you a couple more minutes of daylight in the evening and is a whole lot more forgiving than iron-sights in those low light conditions...

Just a few thoughts, good luck...

Another thing to consider about the so called iron sighter rings is that they raise the scope another two inches or so. This will get your head looking around like an old turkey fo sho bro! If you can't achieve the same cheek weld and sight picture every time, you will have some problems that our self serving ,autocratic govenment will not be able to "empower' you with.
Best to all, I'm here if you want! Hank

If I wanted both iron sights and a scope, I'd have to go with the Warne peep set-up. It's the coolest thing since sliced bread. When your scope fails, you simply take off the scope and rings. Into the rear base you quickly install the Warne peep sight (which I'm sure you had stored in the butt of the weapon). The front sight has been fitted by someone who knew what they were doing, and you're dead on at 100 yards. Brownells carries it. And I have to agree that see-through scope rings stink. The whole idea is to have the scope as close to the line of the bore as possible.

Back