Investarms Hawkins sabot????

Ted655

Inactive
I've a friend who wants to add a Cabella's Hawkins to his BP armory.
The manual wasn't available to read, nor did any of the "outfitters" seem to know much about the gun. His current gun is more modern BP.
We are curious if the newer charges and bullets are suitable for the Investarms Hawkins percussion?
I'm not a BP hunter, so please forgive MY ignorance. I'm asking for him. The hunting pressure I'm feeling during regular season may temp me to go to BPs myself. I was always afraid I would blow myself up:o
Thanks!

Which Hawkins?

There are many different Hawkins that Cabelas offers but since the gun is made from current high quality materials it will be a safe gun as long as you stay with in max powder limits.
I have a Thompson Center Hawkins and although it over 30 years old from a Kit I shoot 100 Gr of Black with round ball and feel safe doing so. But the most accurate loads are around 80.
The guns will come with a book which will give suggested loads and as long as you stay below that you will be ok.
The warning at the bottom was at the bottom of Cabelas page for the gun listed below.
As far as bullets as long as the weights are within the limits you should be ok.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...1a&type=product&cmCat=cchart_trd_blk_pwdr_rfl

Below is some interesting reading on the Hawkins

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=193769
http://www.cabelas.com/story-12/traditionalhawken_210042_all/10527.shtml

WARNING: Black powder, Pyrodex, Triple Se7en® or American Pioneer black-powder substitutes are the only safely suitable propellants ever to be used in any muzzleloading firearm.

My .50 Cabela's Hawken works well with conicals but with a 1:48 twist sabots tumble, of course YMMV. Mine shoots well with 100 grs. of powder but 110 blows the hammer back to half cock. I usually stick to 90 grs. max.

Hawkins

You need to know the twist rate of the barrel of this gun. 1 in 66 twist is for shooting round balls. 1 in 48 twist will shoot conicals and round balls.1 in 28 twist is for shooting sabots.Example: If you have a 1 in 28 twist barrel you need a barrel 28" long to turn the bullet one round. It doesn't take as much spin on a round ball to stabilize it, so the twist in a round ball barrel turns slower.

I think most of the Hawkens will be limited to 110 grains of powder.The Hawkens is not made to shoot the pelletized powder and probably will not have the twist rate to shoot the modern sabots.

If your friend buys a Hawkens he will be using loose powder and shooting either round balls or conicals and using #11 caps.

I have a TC Hawkens that came with a 1 in 48 twist barrel, I replaced the barrel with a Green Mountain 1 in 28 twist barrel. I shoot conicals and powerbelts in the rifle now.It would shoot sabots, but I don't use them because the other bullets load easier.

Hawkins

Thanks, We wish the book had been there TO read, or that ANY of the 4 clerks HAD known something about the gun. Sadly, all they wanted to do was sell him the gun, assuring him ALL he needed to know was "in the box".
I will relay all you'all have said. This IS the info he wanted to know I'm sure.
The gun was a Investarms (Italian made), 50 cal. Hawkins. It looked short to my eyes, like a carbine style. Not a long rifle. Wish I knew the barrel twist.
Very nice stock, brass plate&ear with a cheek comb. It was percussion. Just shy of $400.
I'm not "into" (yet) this BP stuff but sabots seemed important to him. This would be his 2nd BP rifle I think. He has no computer, so I offered to do some info search for him.
Well thank you all & if anyone knows the gun from my limited description, maybe more will be said about barrel twists on this particular gun.

Investarms makes a carbine version with a 22 inch barrel instead of the full length 28 inch rifle barrel. Rate of twist for the rifle is 1:48, prolly the same for the carbine.

I really liked my Cabellas Hawken. It shot well with either round ball or 295 Powerbelts. Unfortunately, I let my granddaughter shoot it one day and it is no longer MY Hawken. :D

Pops

I really liked my Cabellas Hawken. It shot well with either round ball or 295 Powerbelts. Unfortunately, I let my granddaughter shoot it one day and it is no longer MY Hawken.

That sucks in a good way don't it? :D

Back