invest arms 58 cal made for cabelas ?

rebs

I have an Invest Arms 58 cal BP carbine made for Cabelas in Marcheno Italy SPA 25060. It has a black synthetic stock. It has a 20" barrrel. Does anyone know anything about this rifle such as what twist the barrel is ?

Take yer cleaning rod and push a jag with a tight patch about 3/4 the way to the breech. Take a piece of masking tape and wrap round the cleaning rod, touching the tip of the muzzle, and wrap it so it looks like a little flag, sticking up at 12 o'clock..Pull the rod back by handle only (or carefully from the end, if it doesn't have a handle), letting it spin as it comes out, and make sure it isn't slipping, pull until that flag is again at 12 o'clock again..now take your measuring tape and measure from the front of the tape to the muzzle and that should give you a good idea of the twist rate..

I just take a sharpie and mark the rod at the muzzle in line with the front sight. If you run out of barrel before it makes a full turn you can do a half turn and multiply by 2 or do a 1/4 turn and multiply by 4.

I had one (carbine investarms Hawken) years ago, sold it and bought the longer Hawken with a 28" barrel and rubber recoil pad. It may be that the 460gr minie ball kicked too much for me. Mine was the carbine wood stocked version. The bores are a little larger than most 58cal rifles such as the civil war rifled muskets. A thick patched round ball ought to shoot pretty well or an oversized minie like a .577 or .580 diameter. I put a streak of day-glo hunter orange paint on the front sight and it really stands out in dim light. The octagon barrel is 15/16" on the flats. You do not lose that much velocity with the shorter barrel, just less sight radius. You could use a finer powder like FFFg and keep velocity. I put the musket cap nipple on mine for better ignition reliability.

Sometimes you have to settle for; "Close enough"

Yeah, you might have to do some math. I didn't pay attention to the part about the 20" barrel.
I basically use Beagle's method. Last week I encountered a barrel that had no identifying marks. I could not even venture a guess. I even had to measure the bore to determine that it was a .45. I marked the rod in the normal manor and had to go for a half rotation. Then multiplied by 2 and came up with a 1:44". Had to check it three times to confirm and heck, close enough to 1:48" for me to work with. I was really hoping for a 1:60 or 66. Ya know what they say about "hoping" in one hand and; ...... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

Back