• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Invective creep?

Evan Thomas

Inactive
I'm noticing that more and more name-calling, etc, is making its way into (mostly) L & CR, along with what seems to me to be political ranting. See, for example, (post has been deleted -- Mike Irwin). Now, I do sometimes report posts, but I don't wanna come off as a snitch, so I'm asking for some guidance here... if in doubt, report? Or...?

I'd really hate to see this one shut down, too.

Last edited:
Yes, report.

We can't read every message that goes up on these forums. There's simply not enough time in the day and there are far too many people posting here.

If you feel as if you're being a snitch, well, don't.

HOLD IT RIGHT THERE!!!
Hands where I can see them!
Don't even breath!
Slowly with your other hand, remove you gun with your index finger and thumb.
Drop it, now kick it over here.
Ok, guys, their disarmed, get-em!!!!

"How should we handle reporting inappropriate posts by TFL staff? Same method? Just a thought."

PM a moderator whose name appears at the top of the sub-forum in which the problem appears, or hit the 'report this post' button. Either works.

pax

I have to say that I've never felt compelled to report a staff member ('cept maybe when one deletes one of my hilarious posts :)), but the thought did occur when I saw this thread.

You all have handled my question well. :)

Can we report ourselves? Like when I refer to myself as a fat, ignorant gunsnob, can I hit the report post button and complain? Then I can be forced to apologize to myself? :eek::p

WildorcanigetbannedforselfloathingAlaska ™

WildorcanigetbannedforselfloathingAlaska ™

When taken to the extreme, yes. :p

Seriously, if we are to keep L&CR as a good and active part of TFL, then we mods do need your help and co-operation.

I'm reporting you, I learned in school that all the hot parts of a book are in Latin:D

WildartsgrammacanuseanonlinetranslatoryouknowAlaska ™

WildorcanigetbannedforselfloathingAlaska

Just keep it to yourself, WA. Self-loathing is a private matter; trust me, I know. :p

Again, just to clarify... is there a threshold for reporting snide comments about people's intelligence, etc., or do we just suck it up and grow thicker skins? Perhaps we shouldn't report comments about our own intelligence, but insults directed at other people's might be fair game?

Vanya,

Reporting it just gets someone else's eyes on it for sure, because a moderator might not have seen or noticed it. Nothing more or less than that. So if you think it's on the edge, go ahead and report it and let a moderator decide if Something Should Be Done about it.

Of course, if a member abuses the 'report this post' button by reporting every third post or something, moderators (being human) pretty much stop taking that person's reports seriously anyway. So don't go overboard with it, but also don't worry about reporting the ones on the edge.

As far as reporting comments directed at you personally vs comments directed at others, that's a call for you to make. If you want to err on the side of caution, it's not a bad rule to just let us know about the ones directed at others. But there's nothing at all wrong with drawing our attention to a situation, especially if you have the self-control not to say or do anything else in return for the insult.

Personally, I've always been impressed with those who could simply note an insult as a possible violation of forum rules (as opposed to as "that guy hurt my feelings) and then move on without retaliating. It's a rare character quality and I think an admirable one.

pax

Last edited:
Back