Intruder Stopper for Cheap

Diesel77

Here's the recipe:

1. Maverick 88 12ga Special Purpose (18.5 bbl) = $190-$220 anymore than that and it's no longer a deal
2. Make your own beanbag of shot and stuff it into the hollow plastic stock - this will help with both balance and felt recoil = pennies
3. Limbsaver recoil pad = $30
4. Shotgun shell band (stock mounted sleeve) - to increase the ammo on board from 6 to 11 = $7
5. Buckshot = pocket change

Argument ending stopping power for less than $250.

And what's the argument? What to use when intruders/zombies come through your door...

Going to the range today, I was reminded of how devastating a 12ga shell is - I don't care if you've got a 9mm or 45 by your side, you're still going to need to hit with more than one round to put a bad guy down. But with one 12ga buckshot shell, the intruder is going to the ground.

Moreover, being an average to below average shooter, I was hitting the range targets right in the middle (with slugs) while I was getting only about two-thirds of my pistol rounds where I wanted them. So I'm assuming most shooters would have a greater hit rate with a shotgun than a pistol, too.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on what's most effective for you and a friendly challenge to post your ideas for as cheap - or even cheaper - intruder/zombie stopping setups.

Many shootists worthy of respect say if they could only have one gun, it would be a pump 12 gauge.
Hard to argue with that.
Along with the defensive training to go with it, of course.

Why not just used a Mossberg 500? They can be had for under $150. That's cheaper than your new maverick which is just a cheaper version of an already cheap gun. Why not a double barrel? Something with a single trigger and no hammers. Or an H&R 400? I use a 9mm pistol in my house. Much easier to keep unloaded and then load quickly. And it's easier to keep put up. I used to use a .45 Colt rifle and before that a 12 gauge double barrel with 000.

I hear you - a used Mossberg 500 is a great choice, I just wasn't going into used solutions as the pricing is so variable.

I also agree with the pros you state for using a pistol, which is why I also have my 9mm handy, too. But as I admitted, I'm better with the shotgun, as I'm guessing most human beings are.

Now, about your point about formerly using a rifle - unless you live in a semi-rural area and/or have long lines in your home, wouldn't you worry about being able to actually get on target and not wreaking havoc beyond the target? I'm honestly asking as I have zero experience with rifles (though I'm looking to get some time on them this year).

Another consideration for using a long gun indoors is being able to hang on to it if someone grabs it.
Long guns are easier to lose or have misdirected than handguns in a up close fight.
Hence, the recommendation for training.
Concerning the risk of over penetration of walls, some studies show that at self defense distances, heavy birdshot can be a good choice.
And, of course, not missing. :)
More reasons for training for the excitement of surviving a gun fight and the aftermath.

Long guns are easier to lose or have misdirected than handguns in a up close fight.

One reason Massad Ayoob suggests they are best used as home defense "artillery"; not for close up fighting but stand off, as when you pick a defensive position, but do not wander about doing room clearing.

Have you ever fired a shotgun with high pressure buckshot indoors? It can be very disorienting, so please do not go and think it will be the be-all, end-all, as it might not be. Do not overlook other alternatives like a good handgun or even an AR - less penetration if that is a concern with family or neighbors.

I got a h&r pardner pump, used for 100$. love it, heavy as all hell, but built like a tank. I don't really shotgun for sport much, so it serves my purposes just fine. not my go-to for HD though, 300BLK pistol is first line, shotgun stashed conveniently if needed(not sure why I would need it, but I feel better having one for some reason)

home defense

I believe a 12 gauge pump shotgun with an 18"/18.5" barrel,loaded with 00
buck,is the ultimate home defense gun. Mine is an H&R pardner pump protector,cost about $200. My backup is a glock 30 gen 4 .45. I feel prepared for trouble.

Last edited:
Back