Introduction & help request on full auto ID

Porsche!3

Inactive
I am a beginer military firearms collector and would very much appreciate your help. Within the next few days I will be inspecting 5 UZIs to select and purchase one in full auto original configuration, and that three of them have original wooden stocks. One appears to be a Mini and the others standard/original UZIs. I have been told all are original IMI or FN full auto specimens; however, I would like to make sure I know how to tell if they are in fact full auto weapons or not. At the outset, I imagine the weapon should have a three position selector marked A-R-S. I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to make sure the weapon I choose is a full auto original, as well as any suggestions on which choice would be better given the information above.

Thanks and best regards

Hi Porsche3,

Telling a full auto from a semi is usually pretty easy - just check the side of the bolt at the ejection port. If it appears solid its full auto. If it has a channel milled out along the same axis as the barrel its likely a semi. To be sure remove the topcover and look at the bolt as it sits in the receiver. A semi has a two piece bolt; a bolt assembly and a striker assembly. The striker assembly carries the firing pin and has its own recoil spring. A full auto has a one piece bolt with the firing pin milled into the face of the bolt.

You can also tell by cycling the bolt. In semi, if you pull, and hold the trigger, teh bolt will go forward, hold the trigger, and recock the bolt, it should stay open. THe Auto position would have teh bolt go forward, and it won't cock open until you release the trigger.

Thanks for the input.

Thanks to all for the help. I will inspect the bolts as suggested and will carry out the bolt cycling excercise. U.S. law is not relevant in this case to the extent the weapons and myself are not located in the U.S.

Best regards,

Miguel

Back