intro / question

Todd Porter

Hello to all, new to this forum. By way of introduction my name is Todd, soon to be 45 yrs. of age. Married with 2 great kids for 10 years and finacially secure (poor but happy). I have been a gun enthusiast for as long as I can recall, my father was as well and taught me a lot, sadly he passed away earlier this year.

I've never been a fan of the para-military type weapons, focusing more on the 'classic' type of hunting rifle or handgun, and I prefer shooters over gloss any day. I currently have a very small collection, having sold off most of what I owned for various reasons, mostly financial, my oldest son was ill as a baby and medical expenses mount rather quickly.

I haven't yet introduced my sons to shooting sports, it's on my to do list and I will need a youth rifle very soon.

The real reason I'm posting is: I have an old J.P. Sauer and Sohn 25 cal. pistol (I hear the laughter already), semi-auto and in good shape. Not a lot of markings on it, manufacture name with 'Suhl' on the left side of the slide, cal 6.35 patent on the right. Serial no.2877 on the frame, as well as a star and what looks like an 11 below it on both frame and slide. Plastic grips. The gun will fire, but does not feed, I suspect the mag is incorrect and would like to find a replacement.

Does anyone know of or have a replacement mag for this gun? I realize it's not worth much, I think I gave 20 bucks for it many years ago, one of those odd flea market finds that, well, 20 bucks? Sold. Anyway, it's not much, not even a good shooter, but I'd like to have it functional again just the same. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Todd.

p.s. There are no markings of any kind on the mag, which I've been told is an indication it is incorrect for a Sauer.

Todd, first of all, welcome to the Firing Line.

Check this link and see if it is what you have (scroll down past the second photo of the gun for the identifyuing remarks).

Next, I'm moving this thread over to Harley Nolden's forum. Someone there, or Harley himself, will be better at answering your question.

Is this the gun you have? This is the 7.65mm (.32 ACP) but the 6.35mm (.25 ACP) is the same except scaled down.

A word of advice - never dry fire that gun without using a plastic "snap cap." The firing pins are given to breaking if dry fired.

Jim

Attachments

• SauerM1913.jpg
    SauerM1913.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 28
I think Hawgs found it. Very similar to that gun except for the knurled(?) area on the very back of the slide. Other than that, and mine looks to be in a little better condition, thats it. I find it hard to believe it would sell for what the opening bid is in that auction, but I'm old school and been away from guns to long. Anyway, thanks guys, I'll go and check the link Hawg posted for a clip.

OK, Judging by the pics on that auction and the information I've read, it's a wtm model, I'm going to assume with the s/n on my gun and the minor differences between it and the one on auction that mine was made between 1924 and 1928. Are they really worth that much or is that auction just blowing smoke?

Also, what type of markings should I be looking for, I read something about export markings? I'd like to break this gun down for cleaning, how is that accomplished?

I don't own a digicam so I'm working on borrowing one, I'll post pics as soon as I do. Thanks for all the info.

IMHO it's overpriced as are most of his auctions. He does have a few fair priced items but those are getting bids. Still five days to go, somebody may bid on it yet.

Back