INTRATEC 9 mm

alp-257

A friend of mine has offered me his NIB Intratec 9 mm.

I´m interested in this pistol just only for plinking.

I really appreciate yours comments and recomendations about this gun since I have not any experience on its reliability, accuracy and quality.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

alp-257

alp-257,

(This just came to me, after I finsihed all of this, is it a Tec 9/AB10 'assult pistol' or their Cat 9 pistol)...If it's the cat 9 (a pocket pistol)....I have no idea.

Well, I'll try to answer your questions, but I'll also be asking some questions of my own. First of all, I own a post ban version by Intratec called the AB-10. It has a 3" barrel.

Now, is this Tec 9 an actually pre ban with the threaded barrel? Tec 9's (aka TEC DC 9) came in two barrel lengths, to my knowledge, 3" (or 3.5" as some sources count the chamber) and 5". Both had threaded barrels, only 5" had the "hand guard". If it's a pre ban, I've seen those going for 300-500.

reliability:
The manual suggests using FMJ ammo and no reloads (I reload..so it's reliable.). My 3" AB10 likes certain factory ammo and this varies from one to another. It likes 'hot' loads, to cycle the action. If the ammo isn't 'hot' enough, it won't cycle and reliability will bad. Mag feeding, the facotry mags work very well. Remember to slap the mag in and pull down after it locks (the manual says to do this). USA mags....well, they need some work. Nothing a file can't solve.

accuracy:
This is a mixed area. Sources online (good ones too I add), say that with any weopon, practice is needed. The sights well....this pistol was a "spray and pray". The sighs are basic....well, if they qualify as sights. Once you find ammo that it liks, practice w/ it. You'll know how it fires. May be a little hammerig or filing you can adjust it for you. No joke. There is a laser that can be mounted on it (have one..helps).

and quality:
They came in stainless and some kind of special finish from Intratec.

My AB10 looks like it was painted. The sights, as mentioned are not worth the name sights. You can see machine work on the bolt and in the barrel. Now, my Tec AB10, has barrel problems. Either the barrel wasn't machined correctly, or its become shot out (hard to beleive since I bought it new). Any how, a regular 9mm bullet (.355") can be pushed down the barrel w/ a pencil!!!! So, with mine, there is no spin to stabilize the bullets...was key holing at 20 feet!! Makes me wonder what quality of steel used to make it. But this is just my experiance. I've heard people shooting 3" groups w/ their Tec's (preban that is).

I'm in the process of fixing the barrel problem. Some who will read this will say, waist of money, well, it's my money (not to be harsh or hard headed)....beleive in improving something when it's not good. (And other's will say start w/ something better..true).

My AB10 cost me $200 and I'v seen prices from $80-250. Some were listed in Shotgun News. (And then you have to factor in the next day for UPS....)

I hope your questions were answered. As a collecor, part of history, go for it if the price is right. As a shooter, it depends on ability, patiance and luck.

So far I'm the first to reply to this. I purchased mine when I was young and dumb (only a few years ago).

Happy Holidays
Kaliburz

Kaliburz

Thank you very much for your answer.

You really helped me a lot due to I do not want to shoot the gun, before buying it, since NIB condition.

The pistol is a Tec 9 pre ban with the threaded barrel (5" with "hand guard").

alp-257

Hi alp...I had the pre-ban TEC 9 and loved it! I originally bought it because its a weapon the anti's hate, but now I shoot it because its fun. Mine has been very reliable, with maybe 5 or 6 jams out of a thousand rounds fired. Accuracy is so-so. The metal work is very industrial in appearance, with some tool marks still visible. I put a beamshot 3000 daylight laser on top right away and its a nice addition. I also found 2 extra factory mags and a 6"' barrel extension at a gun show. A factory foregrip was also prchased and looks very nice attahed to the threaded, ventilated barrel. This gun does not feed hollowpoint ammo at all! They wont even feed a bit. With cheap ball ammo I have no problems. TEC's love lubrication so dont be stingy with the gun grease. My wife is very taken with this gun and it was what she kept next to the bed when I was at my night job. As much as I love this gun, It is heading to a new home so that I can afford a ParaOrd P14 stainless "limited" .45 for concealed carry. I will be sorry to see my Tec 9 go. Good luck to you...
ps- I sold it for 650 bucks :)

michael

my friend has both a TEC9 and a TEC22, I can tell you they are both JUNK. We went out several times and neither one will feed reliably. My friend tried to put these on consignment for sale and the store wouldn't take them, citing reliability problems.

:)

alp-257,

Well, looks like from just the few postings now, that it's a shot in the dark, so to speak. Some loved their Tec's (9's and 22's) and other hated it. Take a close look at your friends Tec 9. Work the bolt, see if it's sticky. But it's your call in the end. Your cash. As urban assult said, his was great, but it was 'finiky' like Morris the cat about ammo. If the price is right......right now, they're more of a 'collector' status.

Kaliburz

theqickad,

Question, does your buddy still have the two, or did he deep six them???? Just wondering.

Kaliburz

Kaliburz, he still has them and now he is stuck since both are "assault weapons" in Kalif. Not a good feeling to be stuck with single shot assault weapons unless you are fighting for idependence in 1800. :(

thequickad,

Both my AB10 and Tec 22 are non functioning. The 22 needs a new bolt...has a chip out of it near the extractor. A 22 Quickshot went off before it went in the chamber, blew the mag off, lid blew open and chipped the bolt. Before that though, shot over 2000 rounds and I bought it used. Once I found what it liked to 'eat', it was happy shooting, accurate too (adjusted the sights)....I out shot a friend who had a Buckmark.

I found out that if the cover is bent slightly, the bolt won't close right and won't set off the rim fire. Hitting it w/ a wood block set it right...crude, but worked. First time a round blew, bent the cover....last time, it chipped the bolt.

Been trying to find a bolt (aside from sending it off to intratec to be fixed). Shipping would be a dog shipping coast to coast (not in Kali though, thankfully, sorry to who are).

Happy Holidays all.

Back