Intrafamiliar Transfer

Cali Sig

Inactive
Hey Guys, I had no idea that at age 19 I could legally own a handgun.

My Dad has been collecting Firearms for a while now, and now its finally my turn to add to the collection.. Until now Ive been using his guns at the range and in the field ( of coarse, with his supervision and permission ) But l wanted my own handgun that I can take to the range alone or with a fiend without the need to drag my dad to the shooting range...

But Now..

Thanks to the intrafamiliar transfer process my Dad is going to give me his Sig P226 9mm. Im about to go take my Handgun Safety test.

But just one question... His gun came with 2x 16 round magazines (yes.. the magazines from my previous post...) way before the ban..

Can he transfer the "hi-cap" mags to me too? Because they came with the weapon in the first place ?

Or is it just the gun itself..?

By the way The Gun is registered In California. and so am I:).. if that helps in any way..

Thanks alot...

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, but I'm pretty sure he has to keep them and you have to buy ten-rounders. 12020.b(19-32) does not include "family" as a legitimate reason to transfer high-capacity magazines. A friend of mine has an old semi-auto AK and tells me that the law is basically written so he can either take/sell it out of the state, destroy it, or be buried with it. The DOJ even sent him a letter basically listing all the things he couldn't do with it, including willing it to anyone in the state, even immediate family. I expect the high-capacity magazine law is written and interpreted in much the same way.

This said, b(22) says he can lend them to you at the range, while he's there with you. It's a small comfort at least.

Last edited:
I don't know what the Kalifornia law says, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if a 19-yr-old can't even own a handgun in Kalifornia.

Alleykat said:
I don't know what the Kalifornia law says, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if a 19-yr-old can't even own a handgun in Kalifornia.

An individual can own a handgun in California at age 18. Since he cannot have one transferred through a dealer until age 21, the only way he could obtain a handgun would be through a intrafamilial transfer from a parent or grandparent. No FFL involvement is necessary.

No worries, Cali Sig. We have Byzantine laws here and I've had to do a lot of homework (especially with my tastes in eccentric guns). It feels right to save someone else the headache.

I thought I remembered that all transfers in California, even between family members, had to go through a dealer with a background check and waiting period. Am I remembering incorrectly?

mvpel said:
I thought I remembered that all transfers in California, even between family members, had to go through a dealer with a background check and waiting period. Am I remembering incorrectly?

Yes, you are remembering incorrectly. The California Penal Code allows direct transfers of firearms between immediate family members. Immediate family members are defined as grandparents/grandchildren and parents/children. Transfers between spouses are also allowed under the Family Code. Handgun transfers must be reported to the DOJ Firearms Division but no dealer involvement is required.

There is also another type of direct transfer allowed under California law. Transfers of C&R rifles and shotguns that are over 50 years old do not have to go through a dealer.

Back