Interstate Travelling ?

Mike H

First of all, my apologies in advance to the moderator, this should probably be in legal and political or perhaps the handgun forum.

My wife and self are planning to take a trip out from Atlanta to the Carolina coast by car. This is out of state for us on all counts as we reside in Penn.

I had discounted being able to carry CCW or even carry a loaded handgun in the car, and yes, I've checked the various websites that give state by state and travellers instructions for the "transportation" of firearms across state boundaries and none of them gave me any hope, having a .45 locked in the trunk with the ammo separate is not my idea of a readily accessible firearm for those occasions when Bubba sticks his head in my car window at a stop sign and asks for my wallet. Even my wife (who is not a shooter) surprised me yesterday by saying that it would give her some peace of mind if we could have a gun to hand for our journey, particularly when travelling through Georgia which holds some rather unpleasant memories for one of our neighbors. So here I am guys, it's either go unarmed (unlikely) or face 10 years in the slammer with Atlantas finest felons for getting caught carrying a loaded gun in the car. Anyone found a legal way around this one ?

Thanks in advance.

------------------
Mike H

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Anyone found a legal way around this one ? [/quote]

Yeah... don't get caught. For years "a friend" that did alot of traveling has carried CCW interstate (he is licenced in three States) under the assumption that tis better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

Given the choice of having nothing and being at the mercy of some low life or taking the chance of getting caught and having a day in court he picked the latter. Hasn't had any problems yet.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by David Schmidbauer (edited December 07, 1999).]

Hmmm. So now I'm curious, which states allow non-residents to obtain CCW? Where can I find such info?

THanks

Possible way to conceal in vehicle and still be safe. Get handgun safe like American Security with quick combination pushbutton locking. Paint it white and paint a large red cross on it. Bolt it to your floorboard against your seat (by your feet). Include in it some first aid stuff which is a good idea anyway. Of course never submit to a car search, but if they found the firearm, at least your defense could say that it was in a strong locked container????

Not "getting caught" hardly constitutes a "legal" way of working around your problem.

Obviously, you need to decide if you are going to abide by the law or practice a little "civil disobedience".

I wouldn't carry concealed on my person and walk around New York City, but I honestly don't know what I would do going down the Interstate. I can say that going unarmed is unlikely.

As far as I know you can carry open in your car in georgia. I have been for several months. My friend has been stoped several times with his pistol in the car, with out any trouble(helped him to get out of one ticket). IN NC the pistol has to be in the open with nothing covering it. Both states they can be loaded. Hope this helps.

Hades
Atlanta GA

Back