internet wire taps

ernest2

Good News, Bad News, Unbelievable News

FBI: Build Wiretapping Into the Internet

The Internet Engineering Task
Force (IETF), founded in 1986,
is the private international organization that sets standards for Internet technology.

The group is now debating whether future Internet technology should be
constructed in such a way as to allow the U.S. government to easily conduct wiretaps of
online telephone communication -- in other
words, to wire government surveillance into the next generation of Internet protocols.

IETF members are girding for an explosive debate at their meeting next month.

But the FBI has already given its
opinion - and, big surprise, they are pro-wiretap.

"We think it's a wise and
prudent move," said Barry Smith, supervisory special agent in the FBI's Digital Telephony
and Encryption policy unit.

"If court-authorized wiretaps are frustrated, effective law enforcement is jeopardized,
public safety is jeopardized, and
policymakers are going to have to figure out how to rectify the problem."

It's Smith's last point - a veiled threat, really -- that concerns
some IETF leaders.

They argue that if the IETF doesn't build in Internet telephone wiretapping capability voluntarily, the government will pass laws mandating such changes anyway - and those laws could be more invasive and/or technologically unwieldy than the changes IETF might make.

The FBI's Smith agrees.

"If this standard-setting body chooses to turn a blind eye to reality, they can make a
statement, but companies are going to have to function in the real world and meet their
governmental obligations,"
Smith said.

But Jeff Schiller, an IETF
executive committee member, disagrees.

"We should not be building surveillance
technology into standards.

Law enforcement was not supposed to be easy. Where it is easy, it's
called a police state."

(Of course, the United States, like most other countries,
already requires telephone companies to configure their networks so police can easily
wiretap calls.)

(Source: Wired News: "Net Wiretapping: Yes or No?" by Declan McCullagh Oct. 13)

This article appeared in the free,
biweekly electronic newsletter --
The Liberator OnLine.
http://www.self-gov.org/

------------------
In 2000, we must become
politically active
in support of gun rights
or we WILL LOSE the right
& the freedom.

NO FATE BUT WHAT WE MAKE!!!

Every year,over 2 million Americans use firearms
to preserve life,limb & family.Gun Control Democrats
would prefer that they are all disarmed and helpless and die,instead.

ernest2, Conn. CAN opp. "Do What You Can"!
http://thematrix.acmecity.com/digital/237/cansite/can.html

It's okay to say anything on the internet as
long as you don't say bomb, terrorist, Libya,
ammonium nitrate, silencer, full-auto, or
thick legged Hillary.
What have I done? Help.

British Police can have access to your e-mail at the request of an Inspector. They basically bullied ISPs by threatening to seize their equipment to "search for evidence." No law just a voluntary code of practise with the industry. Hence, I use an ISP in Eire, nothing to hide but why can't I have a right to privacy?

------------------
"Quemadmoeum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."
("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands.") -
Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD).

"Return with us now to the thrilling days of yesteryear...."

(Hi-yo, Silver! Away!)

------------------
Either you believe in the Second Amendment or you don't.
Stick it to 'em! RKBA!

Ladies & Germs,

There is a box called a sniffer, that when coupled to a Unix based machine(because they're really fast), will perform rather well at the task of "screening" digital signatures on data streaming by it. When a pattern match has been made, the entire buffered transmission can be catalogued for further scrutiny. Things such as origin, and user ID's can be extracted from this data stream, not to mention all the data contained within.
I used to use just such a box several years ago, while performing troubleshooting on transmission line errors for a railroad traffic control system. And in the hands of a hacker(not me, no vay!) other type data passing through the switch could be intercepted, and reviewed, aka wiretap...

A sniffer can be oermanently installed as a core component of said switches and accessed from anywhere in the world, via the Internet.

Neeaaattttt.

Best Regards,
Don

------------------
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

[This message has been edited by Donny (edited January 12, 2000).]

As a graduate of Sniffer University, yes there is such a thing, and that is what the old Network General used to call the certification, all I can say is :Possible, yep. Likely,nope. Hype factor, Extremely high.

OBTW Donny, the sniffer I use is Win95 based. The OS has little to nothing to do with the operation. The older DOS based unit is every bit as fast, just not able to attach to as many different network topologies as the newer ones. Sniffers will also not see around a router, they are good only for "local" traffic.

Back