Internet information

cjc

I’m in the process of getting my CCW permit and am considering getting a semi-auto for carry. The problem I have is I’m not real familiar with semi-autos. I plan on going to a local range that has guns I can try out, but I’d like to learn as much about them as I can before I drop a large chunk of cash down on a pistol, only to learn it was not the best choice for me. I’ve posted this forum asking about the best CCW gun, and got some really good suggestions. Now I was wondering if there are any good resources on the Internet that discusses the pros and cons of different semi-autos, features and calibers, so I can make an educated decision.

Thanks in advance
CJC

Yeah - Right here.

Just ask your questions...
You have two pistols in mind... tell us... we can discuss it here.

Also - If you like - Since we are only a few minutes away...
We can meet face to face and talk CCW guns. We can do lunch - get some Tacos.

Question for George and everyone else

George,
I come from the old school of don't put one in the chamber until you are ready to fire. It seems the common method of carry of semi-autos is to have a live round in the chamber. This makes sense, if you need a gun, for personal defense, you probably need to be able to get the gun into action fast. But my upbringing tells me to never carry a loaded gun around, so I have some real safety issues with carrying a semi-auto with a live round in the chamber. Admittedly my concerns come from ignorance of the safety mechanism found on semis. So let me start with these questions:

1- Do most people who carry concealed semis, carry a live round in the chamber?
2- I understand the concerns about accuracy and adjusting for trigger pull on the single/double action autos, but what type of safety mechanisms exists on each and what are the pro/cons of each.
3- What about hammerless semi-auto (Glock, and Kahr P9 come to mind) how does the safety mechanisms work on these type of guns and pro/cons of each?
4- Reliability is another concern. I want a pistol that I know will shoot when needed, can be shot a lot, and is not real sensitive to my choice of ammo. Is there a specific design type that seems to be better than another?

I'm sure most of the safety mechanisms are safe but I don't understand how they function, and I refuse to carry any CCW without understanding its safety mechinsim thoroughly. I like the trigger safeties on the Glocks - I don't want to have to fumble with a gun trying to release a safety in a high stress situation, but I'm sure there are other options out there.

That ought to get the discussion rolling, but feel free to include any general information about semi-autos. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about semis and have found this forum to be very useful, and I hope you folks don't mind going back to the basics once and a while to help out a new guy.

Thanks,
CJC

I read your post - and I'll get back to you in a little while... this will be a long answer...
In the meanwhile... anyone else wants to jump in?

Q1. Do most people carry w/ one in chamber?

Most of the people HERE (at TFL) who carry autos, will carry condition one. One in chamber, hammer cocked and safety on. This of course, assumes that there is a hammer and an external safety (e.g 1911). For Glock-like pistols, people still carry with one in the chamber. By saying HERE I am implying that I don't know what the general public is doing. Posssibly there are a lot of people that intend to rack the slide if they ever need to pull out the gun. The advantage is an added feeling of safety, the disadvantages are that you need both hands and extra time.

Q2. Variationis in safety design.

There are a myriad of possibilities here. Some guns have external safeties, grip safetties, trigger safeties, internal firing pin safties, magazine safeties, etc. The variables are not necessarily dependent upon whether the gun is DAO, DA/SA or whether there is a hammer. Some people like the transition, others hate it. Any modern gun will have satety features, you have to decide what works for YOU.

Q3. Safeties on hammerless designs.

The Glock has 3 integral safety mechanisms, not sure about Kahr. I'll let someone who is more versed on Glocks/Kahrs reply to this query.

Q4. Reliability.

Oh boy, did you open up a can of worms with this one. Everyone has their "pet pistols" that have shot 20 million rounds with nary a malf. Get a good quality gun, and you should do ok, in general. Glocks, Sigs, HK's tend to be very reliable. 1911's tend to be a little more finicky, IF you get a finicky one. There are lots of people who have a dozen 1911's that shoot flawlessly, but others have one that jams often. 1911's tend to have tighter tolerences for accuraccy, but this tends to maske them more finicky. You'll notice I'm using the word "tends" a lot, b/c I'm trying not to get flamed for what I'm typing here.
Most guns will feed ball ammo ok, the real test is hollow points. If it feed hollow points well (which is what many people choose for defense) then you should be ok.

Greetings To All:

If you choose a Sig-Sauer handgun, you will not find a manual safety anywhere on the firearm; as Sig's have a
series of (3) passive safety's. Each Sig (unless DAO-
double action only) use's a decocker; in case you are
firing a full magazine and decide to stop for whatever
reason, you simply push the decocking lever down and
this returns you to a safe condition with a round in
the chamber. I prefer these pistol's to all other's
that are available on the semi-auto market!!!:):D

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

1- Do most people who carry concealed semis, carry a live round in the chamber?
This is generally the prefered way. Condition 1 or 2 both have rounds in the chamber...
Let me ask you this - Are you comforable with a Revolver with all 6 cylinders loaded?
If NO - then Condition 3 (loaded magazine is seated in the handgun but the chamber is empty) is your best natural option.
If Yes - then we can move on. The thing about the Revolver is simple... If the weapon is loaded - Dont be pulling the trigger. It is very safe - until the trigger is pulled to the rear. Modern Autopistols are the safe way - they are safe until the trigger is pulled to the rear.
If you are more comfortable with the Revolver style - a DAO auto is certainly the way... the trigger works just like a modern Revolver.
I carry Condition 1... This is a loaded mag and a loaded chamber with the weapon Cocked and on Safe. I carry a 1911A1 Springfield - This weapon has 3 safes and will not fire until I defeat all 3 and pull the trigger to the rear.
Okay - my bad - One of those safeties is a trigger safety and wont allow a fire until the trigger is pulled. I am comfortable with these features... hence I am comfortable carrying this way.
I also have a Detonics Combat Master that I carry often. Its a chopped down 1911 that only has 1 safety. This I quite often carry condition 3 as I am not fully comfortable in this weapons features. The thumb safety is secure - but there is no built in back ups to it. When it gets dark or I'm in the city - I move to Condition 1 carry mode until I am in a lower threat area.
With a 1911 - Condition 2 carry (a loaded mag and a loaded chamber with the hammer down) is totally ill adviseable. Dont do it. Because one the new guns you have only one safety and on the older guns you dont have any safety and an impact could fire the weapon.

2- I understand the concerns about accuracy and adjusting for trigger pull on the single/double action autos, but what type of safety mechanisms exists on each and what are the pro/cons of each.
This depends on the specific pistol... differnt makers have different systems... Sorry - not general answer for this.

3- What about hammerless semi-auto (Glock, and Kahr P9 come to mind) how does the safety mechanisms work on these type of guns and pro/cons of each?
These types of guns (generally) have 2 types of safetys... One is a firing pin or striker block that keeps the striker or pin blocked from movement or out of alignment with the cartridge until the trigger is pulled to the rear.
The other is a trigger safety that doesnt allow the trigger to be pulled until the safety is pulled off first - like the Glocks little lever thats on the trigger or the lower hinged portion of the trigger on the Sigma. I believe Kahrs safety is in the first little bit of the trigger pull its self - but I'm not sure... I dont pay attention very much to the kahr. My wife had one but I only shot it twice. (It was a 9 and I dont groove on Nines...) I could look the Kahr's system up - but I am lazy... ;)

4- Reliability is another concern. I want a pistol that I know will shoot when needed, can be shot a lot, and is not real sensitive to my choice of ammo. Is there a specific design type that seems to be better than another?
Yes... a revolver. :D Revolvers dont depend on the recoil or blowback of the shell to cycle the action. Autos do, so all autos are sensitive to this to one degree or another. Even so - this can be adjusted by replacing the spring... So its kinda not relavent the sensitivity issue. General reliablity is a big concern however and one to take to heart. Accuracy is nice - but in a defensive pistol not a great concern.
In your previous thread and again here - the Sig series was suggested. Sigs are Right on the top of my list. They are also a bit spendy compaired to more pedestrian offerings.
Look for a gun of good quality and with a history of reliability. The Sig pistols have a unique action - you have to get your hands on one to appreciate it.
HK USP Compacts are also very reliable and sturdy - very safe... Another good option.
There are so many good options for a possible auto... It really comes down to personal taste and comfort level.

Back