Interesting Stats : Crime/Permits NY State & City: NY has Most Permits

gvf

Quite a few mentions of NY State and NYC on this and other forums:

*New York ranks 20th out of the 52 states for crime -

*New York City: on a per-capita basis, New York City now has one of the lowest crime rates in the country. In recent years, FBI data has shown that among the 25 largest American cities, New York ranks the 23rd most dangerous, beaten only by San Diego and San Jose. New York is safer than many smaller cities, too: among the 182 U.S. cities with populations of more than 100,000, New York City comes in at 136 -- about the same as Boise, Idaho.

*New York City's homicides have declined 80% since 1990. It had the lowest number last year since records starting being kept.

*New York State is quite high, it may be the highest, rank of handgun permits per 1000 adults. From Indiana Star:

"300,000 Hoosiers have gun permits
Indiana second only to New York in number per 1,000 adult residents, Star survey shows" (2004)

Top 10 states: (2000)
Population 18 years or older-----Carry permits (approx.)-Permits per every 1,000 adults

1. New York/------14,286,350/---------------1,110,150/-----------------------------------77.71

2. Indiana----------4,506,089-----------------302,000--------------------------------------67.2

3. Pennsylvania ---9,358,833-----------------525,600--------------------------------------56.16

4. Washington------4, 300, 678---------------225,200--------------------------------------51.41

5. Connecticut------2,563,877-----------------125,000--------------------------------------48.75

6. Idaho-------------924,923-------------------39,480---------------------------------------42.68

7. Utah-------------1,514,471------------------59,565---------------------------------------39.33

8 Tennessee--------4,290,762------------------160,000-------------------------------------37.29

9 Kentucky---------3,046,951------------------86,200--------------------------------------28.29

10 Florida-----------12,336,038-----------------332,400-------------------------------------26.95

Not the crime infested state - nor the capital-of-crime city (NYC) - not the state
where gun control makes it impossible to get permits - not the city where real difficulty in permits causes mass violent crime - that the state and city are mythologized.

Last edited:
It has been made known that violent crime in NYC and in many large cities is vastly underreported and the reports deliberately fudged for political reasons. No chief of police or mayor wants to look bad, so in order to further their careers they paint the roses whatever color they want them to be.

Yes, if it is thought that the crime will not be solved, the paperwork is often "lost". It happened to me once (100% of the time in my case ..48 years..up till now).

Is that permits to own a handgun in your home/business OR permits to carry concealed weapons? Just imagine what crime rate they could achieve if NY was a "shall issue" state and common folks in NYC could carry along with Donald Trump.

One of the reasons for the lower crime rate in NYC is when they arrest someone, if they can pin any federal charges to them, the kick it up to the federal level and send the guy away for a long time.

It has been made known that violent crime in NYC and in many large cities is vastly underreported and the reports deliberately fudged for political reasons. No chief of police or mayor wants to look bad, so in order to further their careers they paint the roses whatever color they want them to be.

That could be true. But you'd have to present some evidence to support it. For any city, but in this case NYC.
In any case, until you do, the compelling and only evidence is that the figures are quite accurate, and this also is the common experience of residents of that city and of common street cops there. I lived in NYC in different periods, and spend regular time there now, recently an 18 mos period. I now know no one, nor have I for quite sometime, who was a crime victim. That is likewise the common experience of others I know, and others they in turn know etc.
Way back, it was the exact opposite in terms of personal-crime experience that was known. Actually, recently there was a funny news-story about young cops who really saw themselves as major-crime-fighters before they started actually working- but who are so bored in some precincts because they are assigned to enforcing street-vendor violations. There's little else for them do in some precincts.

So, given the above, I would doubt there is anything inaccurate about crime reports over the last decade, but by all means bring forward the evidence. It would likely make national press.

I visited NYC in 2007 and can say that at no time during my stay did I feel unsafe. I feel the large number of police on the streets had a lot to do with
this. Also found the NYC police, friendly and helpful as were most other people I encountered.

gvf, very good!

Yellowfin, that is just amazing. So much for being open-minded. When the data don't fit the hypothesis, so much the worse for the data, eh? We have a family friend who cites crime stats to justify gun ownership so long as the crime states fit his paradigm. When they don't he claims they are being moderated by the government so as to not let the American folks really know what is going on and so he discounts any stats that don't fit his paradigm. By chance, you aren't Jim are you?

Shall issue rates have nothing to do with crime. Yes, crime has gone down after many states have gone to shall issue. Of course as in the Texas of Texas, the crime rate had been falling in the years leading up to it. So the trend simply continued. The crime rate in Illinois, NYC, and Boston also fell the same year Texas got its CHL and those places didn't offer the same open-minded legislation. Did criminals in those far-away places fear the mighty Texas CHL? No, of course not.

Did criminals in the years leading up to the Texas CHL anticipatorily stop committing crime knowing the Texas CHL would be implemented sometime in the future? No, this is even more silly.

Both these suggestions are correlations, but fail to show causation. As it turns out, the trend for Texas is seen in other states as well, an overall and/or ongoing declining crime rate at the time of implementation.

Crime rates go up and down regardless of CCW.

The place where CCW works isn't at the city or state level, but at the individual level. To claim that shall issue works would either imply that the criminals (that we often consider to be dumb) have reasoned out that their chances of running into a person with a gun have gone up so much that they stop committing crime, even though usually states don't have more than a couple percent of people carry, or that CCW people are stopping so many criminals (those crimes being reported) that repeat crimes by those criminals are curtailed. Both are bogus.

The only place shall issue CCW makes a difference is at the most important level. A person with a gun has the option of using the gun for defense versus one who does not. For most places, however, the difference isn't at home, but out on the street. Most folks in the country already had the option of having guns at home, and in some cases, in the car.

Back