Interesting Quote from "Black Hawk Down"

DonL

I'm posting this here as it deals with the politics of foreign policy and the quest for this administration to turn our military into Globo-Cop.

I just finished reading what I personally feel is a very well written book, Mark Bowen's "Black Hawk Down". The book is the story of the battle waged in Mogadishu, Somalia in support of the failed UN effort to relieve the starving and suffering of civilians caught in the web of tribal warlords that run the country. It's a riveting account about battle, the ranges of emotions, the brotherhood that soldiers share, and some of the nuances of war, battles, and firefights, as well as some of the politics behind battles fought. I feel a bit emotionally exhausted, and even sitting here, mentally confused at trying to process the "combat information overload" that Bowen shares as a demonstration of the confusion and complications that Mr. Murphy brings to firefights. One passage at the end, in describing the effect of the battle in Mogadishu, struck me as pretty incredibly profound, and I feel compelled to share this passage with the gang here for our own introspection and/or discussion.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
It aborted a hopeful and unprecedented UN effort to salvage a nation so lost in anarchy and civil war that millions of people were starving. It ended a brief heady period of post-Cold War innocence, a time when America and its allies felt they could venal dictators and vicious tribal violence from the planet as easily and relatively bloodlessly as Saddam Hussein had been swept from Kuwait. Mogadishu has had a profound cautionary influence on U.S. military policy ever since.
"It was a watershed," says one State Department official, who asked not to be named because his insight runs so counter to our current foreign agenda. "The idea used to be that terrible countries were terrible because good, decent, innocent people were being oppressed by evil, thuggish leaders. Somalia changed all that. Here you have a country where just about everybody is caught up in hatred and fighting. You stop an old lady on the street and ask her if she wants peace, and she'll say yes, of course, I pray for it daily. All the things you'd expect her to say. Then ask her if she would be willing for her clan to share power with another in order to have that peace, and she'll say, 'What, with those murderers and thieves? I'd die first.' People in these countries - Bosnia is a more recent example - don't want peace. They want victory. They want power. Men, women, old and young, Somalia was the experience that taught us that people in these places bear much of the responsibility for things being the way they are. The hatred and the killing continues because they want it to. Or because they don't want peace enough to stop it."
[/quote]

We can note that Kosovo may become an even more recent example. I highly recommend this book, and would suggest that it become required reading to all those in this administration, WJ and Albright, the State Department, and our foreign services, as an exercise in imagining their own sons or daughters sent to administer a foreign policy devoid of military objectives, and based on specuous, arbitrary, or self-absorbed political agendas. Too bad they'll never heed the words, stories, or experiences of those they put in harm's way.

------------------
Don LeHue

The pen is mightier than the sword...outside of arms reach. Modify radius accordingly for rifle.

Don,
I think I'll have to give this one a read, sounds good.
Like you, I wish those in our government would read and HEED the statement you quoted. However, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
Mr. Spock was right-emotions are completely illogical. However, they exist, and we have to deal with that reality. Part of that reality is that people believe what they WANT to believe. Never mind that you may be able to factually prove, beyond a shawdow of even UNreasonable doubt, that what they believe is false. For whatever reason, it gives them comfort to believe it, and anything that casts doubt on that belief MUST be rejected immediately lest it cause them to question their intelligence and sanity. How else can you explain the "flat earthers"? This group believes that the earth is flat, not round; flight, and space flight in particular, is impossible; the sun, moon, and stars are only a few hundred miles away, etc. I first became aware of this some years ago through some news show along the line of 60 Minutes. They interviewed the president of the society, and it would have been easy to dismiss them as a bunch of ignorant people except for the fact that the president of the society is a graduate of MIT with a degree in engineering. Indeed, according to the show, most of the people in the org. were pretty well-educated, and otherwise seemingly intelligent. After pondering this incredible contradiction, the only conclusion I was able to come to was that they believe it because they want to. Why? I haven't a clue, and wish I did. If I could figure that one out, I'd be making so much money as a practicing shrink, I'd be able to buy Bill Gates a 100 times over out of mere pocket change. :D

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard
The Shottist's Center forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

[This message has been edited by 45King (edited June 26, 1999).]

You're right, it was a pretty good book. Well, other than a few technical errors. The kind we have all come to expect from J-school grads. Like the "laser-guided TOW missile". Er, doesn't TOW mean "Tube-launched, Optically-tracked, Wire-guided"?

Also, it didn't mention the latest revelations about how the Clinton administration was secretly negotiating with Adaid (SP?) to turn the country over to him at the same time as ordering our troops to attack without armour or air support backup. This appalling tidbit from PBS's "Frontline" a while back.

Read BHD some time back--an unforgettable book. The idea of our feather merchant politicians sending good people into harm's way for warm,fuzzy,unattainable goals puts me into a cold fury. Unfortunately I think this will become routine as the sons and daughters of the elite will never be put in jeopardy. Sacrifice is for others.

------------------

From; Ivan8883 6-27-99 1153AM EDT As long as we have people in power like Big Comrade, Albright(her father was a Czech Stalinist), Cohen, and other New World Order types, our soldiers will keep being in harms way doing the dirty work of the One World Order(ODOR). Whether these Anerican soldiers are in Bosnia, Kosovo, Haiti, Iraq,or wherever their elite handlers send them, they are all doing the bidding of the coming One World Government. The evidence of the one world system and the military clout to go with it(NATO) is every day showing up everywhere. It is up to the American GI to follow the example of Michael New who disobeyed a illegal order to wear a UN uniform. Only through mass disobediance by our soldiers of the entire corrupt military system being set up can we Americans regain our national sovereignty.AnI would hope that all our generals arent lackeys like Shelton and Clark(head of Nato) .These military leaders have bought into the New World System lock ,stock and barrel.But it may be a done deal by now Ivan8883

Back