Interesting Pheasant

Blindstitch

So I was out hunting today and I shot an interesting pheasant. It's a lot more blonde everywhere. I'm sure that won't affect taste. I found reference online about it being a Buff Ringneck.

I was hunting public land but I know the DNR stocks birds there occasionally. Either way it's an interesting bird.

It was actually about average size for what I'm seeing but the picture makes it look smaller. But in a ziplock bag in the freezer they all look the same.

I bet that came off a farm. I know a guy who breeds pheasants to bring out certain colors and eliminate others.
Peach Pheasant
Since he is specifically trying to breed to bring out recessive genes he gets some real oddities.
Just a guess.

Public land in Wisconsin.....any pheasant there is a planter. In truth, most any pheasant in Wisconsin is a planter. Even tho we tried importing true wild birds from nearby states and stocking them in various places, along with trying to raise true wild strains to release with the hopes of establishing a viable wild/native population, for the most part, Pheasant hunting in Wisconsin is basically a give and take proposition. That said, nuttin' wrong with the bird you shot. Considering the numbers of birds raised and released in the state, a few with color variations is quite normal. Could very well be a recessive gene showing itself or inbreeding due to the game farm environment. I raised pheasants myself for many years and saw birds that were almost pure white like a domestic chicken to those that were almost black. This using only standard Ringnecks as breeding stock. I also raised some of the "fancy" breeds of Pheasant that were completely different looking....some looked more like Peacocks or parrots than pheasants. Local game farm I work my dogs at regularly releases "chocolates" or "Black" pheasants along with the ringnecks and gives a prize to those that bag one and bring it back to the clubhouse.

....anyway, good shooting.

Now a black one that would be nice to get. Closest I got was a crow last season.

Many people tell me that the planted birds have a 100% kill or die off and no real wild pheasants exist but I don't believe that since I have seen pheasants in the spring nowhere near planting areas. But the percentage of those birds has to be a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent.

My dad use to say Michigan had a good amount of pheasants when he was a kid and now it's slim pickings but I have seen those wild pheasants running the fields during the summer as workers were picking.

Still it would be nice if we could find a way to get a bird that we know will 100% survive if it doesn't get shot or eaten.

I shot a bob white last year and listened to a bunch of people tell me they didn't exist. We could use a lot more of them too.

I shot a bob white last year and listened to a bunch of people tell me they didn't exist. We could use a lot more of them too.

Well, if they didn't exist, Wisconsin wouldn't have a season on 'em anymore. But I agree, we could use a lot more. Growing up as a kid in West central Wisconsin, the sound of a Bobwhite calling for a mate or it's covey was a common sound. Nowadays it makes me stop and listen if I hear it(and that's not often). Used to be there were a few places I knew where you could take a good bird dog and get multiple points and take a bird or two out of a covey. Nowadays, if and when I get one to rise in front of the dog, I just watch it fly. Since Bobs are native to Wisconsin, I personally wish they would take those monies they spend on Pheasants every year and put it into trying to re-establish viable quail populations in the state. I know it will never happen, but one can raise ten Bobs for every one Pheasant, and Bobs have a better chance of making it. Over the years I have bought/raised quail and used a recall pen for training my dogs on my son's property. Come Spring Turkey season, I always hear a few down there in the mornings that made it thru the winter and smile. I always hear a few Rooster Pheasants cackling too, even tho as you said, folks say none ever make it thru.

Back