interesting old scope

bamaranger

There's a Redfield 4x with 3/4" tube, with what appears to be U.S. property numbers and inventory type lettering applied for sale on ebay at this tiime. The scope gives some appearance as a military item and is billed as such. It has a duplex reticle.

What are we looking at here, and what rifle would such a scope, if indeed genuine, would it have been mounted on. I'm thinking, again, if military, that it would have been for the last versions of an M1 sniper, what, the M1-E perhaps?

Or, is this some type of repro???

I'm not 100% sure, but I THINK the Sportster was primarily a rimfire scope so I doubt if it would have been used on anything other than training rifles.

It is unusual to see a commercial Redfield Scope marked in this manner. A simple web search shows the AN-PPS-5 is a 60's vintage radar set, and according to this manual, the telescope was used in an optical alignment of the radar.

https://sin.thecthulhu.com/library/...ERIES)_RADAR_SET_OPERATOR_ADJUSTMENTS_30p.pdf

This is a 20 Papa maintenance manual dated 1978, so the radar set was being used up to the late 70's.

https://books.google.com/books?id=m...AEINjAF#v=onepage&q=TM 11-5840-298-12&f=false

I'll go with what Slamfire says. I have all of Peter Senich books and don't recall ever reading about a 4X Redfield.

BTW, I had a heavy USN scope with studs (no arbor for bbl though) that protruded from its side which was a bore-sighting scope for a 20 mm Oerlikon. Having no need for it, it was donated to the Liberty ship, SS Jeremiah O'Brien in San Francisco. She is fully restored and has 20 mm Oerlikons aboardship.

2522016436334040_1.jpg

I have two Redfield 4X Bearcubs. They were Redfield's most popular scopes back in the fifties. They have one inch tubes and cross hairs, rather than duplex reticles, as Leupold has yet to bring that out. They are still an excellent optic.

i have a 4x redfield scope with a 3/4" tube that was built to take big bore recoil that i have mounted of a very light 8mm sporter as a walking deer rifle that weights just over 6 lbs and never had a problem with holding zero. what drew me to it was a ad in the american riflemen years ago, they had a 2x and 4x that was to be used as a sort of long eye relief scout mount on a win 94 and a 4x with normal eye relief to be used on large bore rifles. the redfields bring good money and the browning marked ones bring more. eastbank.

Eastbank,

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the 3/4" centerfire rifle scope line by Redfield was developed after World War II to compete with the buzz of the Lyman Alaskan, which gained fame as the standard sniper rifle scope during WW II.

Prior to that, I think the 3/4" tube Redfields were all intended to be used on rimfires, and were built accordingly.

runs in my mind they were made in the late 60,s or early 70,s. go to (guns international gun classifieds) # 100652212. the scopes were hyped for .22 rimfire and centerfire rifles. eastbank.

Back