Interesting observation (bullet path)

Bob Wright

A number of years ago I was shooting at a dump, plinking anything that seemed to be a good target. There were several blocks of Styrofoam (I think) about 6" x 8" x 14". Apparently had been used for a cross for funeral wreaths. I guessed a florist had dumped them there. I stood several up and shot them with a .45 Colt Ruger. At each shot, dirt kicked up directly behind the blocks, and the blocks flipped in grand fashion.

When I examined one of the wounded blocks, the exit hole was in top or the blocks. Cutting into one the bullet path was curved in the block.

My conclusion is that the block rotated around the trajectory.

Comments?

Bob Wright

I would bet a shiny buffalo nickel that the foam started moving before the bullet even hit it.

I've seen slow motion footage of bullets hitting light targets,,,
Often the "bow wave" moves the target a bit.

On smaller pieces sometimes what would have been a direct hit on a solid target,,,
Simply pushed the light target out of the way.

Aarond

My conclusion is that the block rotated around the trajectory.

My money would be on that, too. What Aarond saw on the slow motion footage could easily have occurred, too, as a variation of the theme; i.e., the foam target rotated around the air/bullet unit. I think the result might be indistinguishable upon examination.

Can a block of foam rotate faster than the bullet's forward path? I'm not sure, but something is telling me no.

I find it hard to imagine that the block would start moving fast enough to leave a curved path in a block like that, but I suppose it's possible. The bullet hits the block going 800 FPS +or- but would start slowing down very quickly.

It'd be interesting to see it in slow motion to see what actually happens.

I find it hard to imagine that the block would start moving fast enough to leave a curved path in a block like that, but I suppose it's possible. The bullet hits the block going 800 FPS +or- but would start slowing down very quickly. It'd be interesting to see it in slow motion to see what actually happens
My thoughts exactly. But the "bow wave theory" proposal may account for some of the movement. Or it could be that the rotation of the bullet as it penetrates, and the lightness of the material, allow some movement. Good question, Bob! Rod

Apparently had been used for a cross for funeral wreaths.

So...you're shooting at crosses, or plain crucifixes, and the bullets behave wackily. Bad Juju man. Don't mess with deities and their symbols.

tipoc

Interesting observation.

Styrofoam is extremely light, and one would expect the bullet to impart quite a lot of velocity to it, perhaps enough to result in a curved bullet path.

Back