Interesting Morning Hunt

sc outdoorsman

My son and I went out this morning and got in the stand a little before daylight. I went to a stand at the edge of a food plot that the deer just started hitting pretty hard. Just before daybreak a small deer worked across the plot. I could barely make out the size, but it was too dark to make out anything else.
I let the deer walk wanting to get a better one. About 20 minutes later this yote came in following the same path as the deer exited the plot. I dropped him then got down and moved to another stand a few hundred yards away thinking his scent would spook away any deer in the area.
I sat in that stand until about 9 and had a nice doe come in to about 100 yards
stand and I dropped her as well.

It was a good morning all the way around. Clipped a predator and got some meat for the freezer.

coyoters.jpg

Sounds like a nice hunt a Yote and a Doe all before 9AM. You had time to field dress it, get it to a processor and still get in an afternoon nap.

nice, wish more people didn't pass up on that shot (foxes where I am from but still a predator that has a big impact on the game)

Thanks,
I wish I could get a chance to nail a few more yotes. The rabbit population is down from a few years ago.The deer population is down some, but the area is heavily hunted so it's hard to say how many the yotes are taking down. I am not going to pass up a shot on one even if does blow the day's deer hunt.

I saw a bobcat during bow season, but couldn't get a clean shot in some thick brush. So the predators are working the the area hard.

No skinning I blew the shoulder out on the opposite side. It was a real mess. I was really trying to do a little population control anyway.

Back